Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Still low after being discharged 1 year

tag
AutumnH
New Contributor

Credit Score Still low after being discharged 1 year

I filed bankruptcy Feb 2015 it was discharged June 2015. My score is still reporting like 560's on all three reporting agencies. What do I need to do? I see some accounts are reporting closed by grantor and doesnt show it was included in Bankruptcy. Do I need to dispute that?

Chapter 7 Discharged June 2015

Trying to rebuild
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Score Still low after being discharged 1 year

What have you done to rebuild?
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 16
AutumnH
New Contributor

I have a personal loan with a local bank that reports monthly, but its only been reporting since February. When they pulled my Transunion credit score it was a 611. So, thats why I'm confused. 

Trying to rebuild
Message 3 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

You're going to need more than that installment loan to boost your score, get a couple credit cards. Start with Capital One, use their pre-qualifier:

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_ONE_V20.aspx

If they recommend a card for you with a specific APR, like 16%, not a range like 12-25% you should be approved. And if you leery of going back into to CC debt, just use it like a debit card - charge, and then pay it in full. A couple CCs reporting low balances and prompt payment will boost your score quickly.

Message 4 of 16
gbwhite1
Established Member

Autumn,

I finished my punishment (ha-ha) for bankruptcy on April 1st. It seems that the (big-3, from here on I'll call them B-3) took no time whatsoever in removing it from my credit records. And there was a significant increase in mt S8 scores

@AutumnH wrote:

I filed bankruptcy Feb 2015 it was discharged June 2015. My score is still reporting like 560's on all three reporting agencies. What do I need to do? I see some accounts are reporting closed by grantor and doesnt show it was included in Bankruptcy. Do I need to dispute that?

I can't see why they would take so long to get you squared away. If you filed those accounts in your bankruptcy then, by law, they must be included in your bankruptcy. The exception being government loans, student school loans, back child support, things like that. You can try disputing them, but your chances of a positive outcome is limited. One thing that can help is taking out a loan, also good user friendly credit cards. I pay all my full balance credit cards off as soon as they come due. I don't know if this had a bearing, but my wife's dad passed away last year and he left his kids a sizeable amount of money. The B-3 may look at this as a likely situation that I'll pay my bills on time. If your bankruptcy is still showing on any of the B-3, then by all means dispute it right away!  The Big-3 control so much of our lives we shouldn't let them get away with anything.

I wish you the best luck with this! Keep paying your bills on time and the B-3 will see that and raise your score.

All My Best,

Greg

Message 5 of 16
AutumnH
New Contributor

Thanks for the input, that's what I'm trying to do now is dispute them to tell them they were all included in Bankruptcy. Its at least 7-12 items reporting incorrectly. So what exaclty did you do? Did you dispute them saying they should be included in bankruptcy? I've also applied for a credit one card and capital one and was denied. Man Sad

@gbwhite1 wrote:

Autumn,

I finished my punishment (ha-ha) for bankruptcy on April 1st. It seems that the (big-3, from here on I'll call them B-3) took no time whatsoever in removing it from my credit records. And there was a significant increase in mt S8 scores

@AutumnH wrote:

I can't see why they would take so long to get you squared away. If you filed those accounts in your bankruptcy then, by law, they must be included in your bankruptcy. The exception being government loans, student school loans, back child support, things like that. You can try disputing them, but your chances of a positive outcome is limited. One thing that can help is taking out a loan, also good user friendly credit cards. I pay all my full balance credit cards off as soon as they come due. I don't know if this had a bearing, but my wife's dad passed away last year and he left his kids a sizeable amount of money. The B-3 may look at this as a likely situation that I'll pay my bills on time. If your bankruptcy is still showing on any of the B-3, then by all means dispute it right away!  The Big-3 control so much of our lives we shouldn't let them get away with anything.

I wish you the best luck with this! Keep paying your bills on time and the B-3 will see that and raise your score.

All My Best,

Greg

Trying to rebuild
Message 6 of 16
Pway
Valued Contributor

Yes, OP you would dispute them saying they we part of your chapter 7 bk and the debts was discharged.  When I disputed I mailed and faxed them a copy of my Discharge papers as well as a copy of my list of creditors.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 7 of 16
AutumnH
New Contributor

@Pway wrote:

Yes, OP you would dispute them saying they we part of your chapter 7 bk and the debts was discharged.  When I disputed I mailed and faxed them a copy of my Discharge papers as well as a copy of my list of creditors.

Ok Thanks, In the process of doing so now

Trying to rebuild
Message 8 of 16
Scupra
Super Contributor

You need a revolving TL asap to help bring that score up. Three revolving TL's are needed to optimize FICO scoring.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 9 of 16
AutumnH
New Contributor

Finally!!! I got approved for a credit one card! Maybe now I can start rebuilding!! Yayyyy!! 

I had to dispute a lot of stuff they had a lot of my accounts as charged off instead of being discharged!

Trying to rebuild
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.