Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Union Questions

Hello Everyone!

Once again thank you all for all the knowledge shared on these forums. It has helped countless people like myself and will always be appreciated.

My 341 meeting is on this coming friday... I live in NY and was wondering which I know has been asked countless times what to expect during that meeting.. I know I shouldn't be nervous but I really am.

My main question, I live outside of NYC in the suburbs are there any Credit Unions that I can join, that are useful that I don't have to have a military affiliation with or work in a certain field... The one by me request that you are an employee of our local or state governments. And when is appropriate time to join..
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
empressj
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Union Questions

Hi there,

I was recently discharged and was extremely nervous about my 341 meeting but it went well. We were there10 mins tops, most of it was spent waiting for our turn to meet with trustee. I didn't rest well the night before and really worked myself up into a nasty migraine.

I would suggest arriving 10-15 mins early just in case you run into traffic and so that you have time to ask your attorney questions or just to take deep breaths before going in. In regards to joining CU, please take some time to search previous posts as they are very helpful. Before filing I spent countless hours reading/reseraching things. I don't have any close affliations with anyone in the military but seeking membership with Navy Federal CU. If you want more information on NFCU just enter that in the serach box...you will be surprised what you find.

Best wishes to you!!

Discharged Jan 2017
Rebuilding credit
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your reply what were the questions like? The ones the trustee asked..

And did you wait until after your discharge to apply for the credit union?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can apply now for membership at a local CU. They will generaly just run CHEX if they aren't a national CU. If anything comes up on CHEX you'll need to get ahold of CHEX Systems and give them a copy of your BK filing to remove the negative reporting. You can apply for membership, just don't apply for overdraft line of protection, or any other products at this time. If you had a choice, I would apply for membershi at a larger CU in your area since they would generally have better lending guidelines than smaller ones that might be more restricted.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.