Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union question

tag
teddingt
Regular Contributor

Credit Union question

I live in a smaller area and don't have any options when it comes to credit unions due to them all being employer based.     I have looked at a couple online and wondering if anyone has some good recommendations.

Thanks

re bk
EQ 572 TU 540 EXP 545
Current
EQ 598 TU 556 EXP 557
Discharge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Danique
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Union question

@teddingt wrote:

I live in a smaller area and don't have any options when it comes to credit unions due to them all being employer based.     I have looked at a couple online and wondering if anyone has some good recommendations.

Thanks

I remember reading here somewhere that you can become a member of State Department Federal Credit Union but you have to be a member of American Consumer Council. That's one of the easiest ones to get into. I was taking that route but was able to be sponsored by a member of NFCU...

Discharged 4/28/2016
EQ-530/EX-600/TU-469

Current scores as of 2/06/2017
EQ-664/EX-667/TU-654

CapOne Quicksilver- $2,500

NFCU CashRewards - $12500

Overstock - $2200

Wayfair - $2200

HSN - $1250

Victoria Secret - $250

Discover IT - $1200

Amazon - $800

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@teddingt wrote:

Thanks

Some popular Credit Unions, depending upon your needs, are Pentagon Federal (Pen Fed), State Department, NASA, Alliant (Illinois) all which can "donate" a nominal amount of small dollars and gain access to.

Additionally, there are many Regional ones which have unique member ship requirements such as Boeing, Randolph-Brooks, Secret Service.

Consider using the Search function on MyFico, for either Credit Unions or CU 's.

Myself, I am a member of Navy, Pen Fed, State Department, Alliant, NASA, based upon my unique needs and choices of membership.

Best Wishes.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Fed is hands down your best option, no one else even close if you have a BK or in rebuild. Any family member or friend thats already a member can get you in. All you need is their member ID, then go to the navy fed site online. Sign up for new account, list their member ID as a sponsor and you are good to go. Its that easy, No need to go in the branch. Just make a deposit online when you open the account, and in less than 3 days, you are approved and the account info is emailed to you, and check cards mailed.

Pen Fed next best option IMO

Message 4 of 8
teddingt
Regular Contributor

Thank you.   I think I have my employer talked into to joining the local.  If not Pen Fed it is. 

re bk
EQ 572 TU 540 EXP 545
Current
EQ 598 TU 556 EXP 557
Discharge

Message 5 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I joined and NFCU recently andposted how I did it. I also joined SDFCU years ago. They have a method to transfer funds electronically, so I use them

Guyatthebeach.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked at PenFed for 3 years in collections, and assisted the mortgage and equity department. If you never have to talk to anyone and just do all your stuff online they're good to go with. You can find an occasional MSR who has a full brain, generally they don't and you wish you never called. They do have good loans for credit cards and autos, mortgages are good as well but every department is very understaffed and very behind. When I left the mortgage processors were working 8-10 hours in the office then another couple hours at home, it was insane. I usually worked at least 50 hours a week if not more for them. They started risk based lending, they used to only lend to people with over a 700 score so you might be able to get some good loans. If you don't qualify for NavyFed, I would see if possibly anyone might sponsor you (i'm going to ask around on the boards after my banko) since they are MUUUUUCH better.

Message 7 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I worked at PenFed for 3 years in collections, and assisted the mortgage and equity department. If you never have to talk to anyone and just do all your stuff online they're good to go with. You can find an occasional MSR who has a full brain, generally they don't and you wish you never called. They do have good loans for credit cards and autos, mortgages are good as well but every department is very understaffed and very behind. When I left the mortgage processors were working 8-10 hours in the office then another couple hours at home, it was insane. I usually worked at least 50 hours a week if not more for them. They started risk based lending, they used to only lend to people with over a 700 score so you might be able to get some good loans. If you don't qualify for NavyFed, I would see if possibly anyone might sponsor you (i'm going to ask around on the boards after my banko) since they are MUUUUUCH better.

NFCU can't "sponsor" you so easily.. You need to be a roommate or immediate family.

Check this thread out:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/How-to-join-NCFU-and-rebuild-as-a-civilian-the-right-way/m-p/4642280#U4642280

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.