Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card still open?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card still open?

I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy on July 21. I had my 341 on Aug 30. I'm waiting for my discharge Oct 31.

Today I received a letter from Old Navy/Synchrony about my account. I assumed it was a closure notice similar to the one I received from AMEX. But it was actually a letter stating that my credit line has been reduced to $200. I can't rememer if this card had a balance when I filed.

The reasons given:

• Serious delinquency, and public record or collection filed
  • Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown
  • Time since derogatory public record or collection is too short
  • Length of time revolving accounts have been established

Is it possible they are going to let me keep the card?

Also, I checked my credit report with Equifax due to the breach. A few cards that did not have balances do not show they are in bankruptcy. Will they update the accounts once there is a discharge? I’m so confused because Amex closed my account within a week.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit card still open?

I had a Kohl's card that had a $1000 credit limit that was reduced to $200 when I filed bankruptcy and I was able to keep it opens. Sometimes if a card has a zero balance, it will survive bankruptcy. If you have been discharged, I would test it out by charging a small amount. If it's still open, that's great.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll check after my discharge. This process is so nerve wracking. I want it to be over.

Message 3 of 4
Kb109
Frequent Contributor

My first card I ever opened almost 11 years ago at age 18 was not included or listed in bankruptcy due to it having a zero balance. My attorney said it is not a debt due to zero balance and since they are so subprime and awful, I rolled the dice after closing all my other zero balance accounts that I knew would catch wind of the BK. The card is my 1st Financial Bank USA card lol. Worst card ever, 29.99% interest rate, you name it lol but it's my oldest trade line on my reports and I am so thankful it survived. Now onto rebuilding! Good luck with everything! Bankruptcy sucks and was the most stressful time in my life, but if I can make it through, I know you can. Keep your head up! Smiley Happy

Filed Ch7: 6/21/17
Discharged: 10/03/17
Current FICO8 Scores as of 2/10/2019: EX 651, TU 678, EQ 679
My Cards: 1FBUSA $2,900 (survived BK7 and is my oldest account!), Fingerhut $1,100, CreditOne $900, Ollo Rewards $2,500, LendUp Arrow card $2,000, CapitalOne Platinum $3,000. GARDENING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.