Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check with uHaul?

tag
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Credit check with uHaul?

Any know if uHaul does a credit check when you rent with a debit card?  I know you can rent with a debit card.  They put a hold on some funds which is fine and expected but do they do a credit check?  I know the rental car places do a credit check.  I'm actually moving so I do need a uHaul and not car.  My score won't pass a credit check since I havn't started rebuilding yet.  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit check with uHaul?

I rented uHauls with scores in the 400s. Once they asked for a reference. Basically any live body that will answer a phone and say they know you. That’s it. I think they use alternate  bureaus. They don’t ask for your SS just your drivers license.

Message 2 of 5
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thats a good question, Im not sure of the credit check, but did they ask you for proof of insurance at all? a friend of mine said they asked for his insurance card in case he was in an accident.
Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I looked everywhere on the site. No mention of a credit check.

"Do you need a credit card to reserve or rent equipment? Making a reservation online requires a credit card, but you are not required to use a credit card when paying for your rental. We accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.

Can I use a debit card to reserve or rent equipment? Yes, the debit card must have a Visa or MasterCard logo."

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
Thats a good question, Im not sure of the credit check, but did they ask you for proof of insurance at all? a friend of mine said they asked for his insurance card in case he was in an accident.

They will only ask for your insurance card if you decline the optional loss damage coverage. Which is about $10-$20 a day. I always alway take the max coverage. (Typically you only need a uhaul for a day anyway) For $20, you are completely coveraged and don’t have to involve your insurance company which most likely has a deductible and will raise your rates if you get into an accident.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.