Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report post BK 7 Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit report post BK 7 Discharge

Does anyone know if items that were discharged in a Chapter 7 BK can still appear on your credit report. I have items marked derogatory, when in fact were discharged. I am trying to clean up my credit report, which is harder than I imagined. I also have judgments listed that were discharged.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit report post BK 7 Discharge

The goal of a BK is to "discharge" your debts.  This means that your are permanently free of the debt once your discharge is issued.

However, ALL debt that you included in your BK can and usually is reported on your Credit Report as "Included in BK".  This is correct, as it is debt that you legally owed before your discharge but now you don't owe it anymore.

Just check your credit reports to be sure that there is nothing reporting a balance that was discharged and that there is nothing showing as negative with a date that is after the month you filed the bk.  If so, dispute it.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit report post BK 7 Discharge

jwwbuilder wrote:
Does anyone know if items that were discharged in a Chapter 7 BK can still appear on your credit report. I have items marked derogatory, when in fact were discharged.

The devil is in the details.

Something included in a BK7 has to be listed as $0 balance, closed, and IIB. However, if you were 90 days late when you filed, then they can legally report it as 90 days late. If it went to collection or charge off before you filed, they can list that.

How are the items listed?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.