cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score increase after chapter 7 removed....No. Why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score increase after chapter 7 removed....No. Why?

I had a chapter 7 removed today and my score only increased 8 points....thats it???? You would think 50 points!!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit score increase after chapter 7 removed....No. Why?

Is this a credit score through this website?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes..thru this website.  I had the equifax score last month which was 541.  When I checked it yesterday, it was 549 when it was removed.  Must just take time to increase I guess.  I knew people who had theirs jump almost 50 points overnight!!!
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I do know the damage lessens over time. Also, if you have other baddies, because they are newer, the score impact due to the BK removal is much less.
Message 4 of 6
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a chapter 7 removed today and my score only increased 8 points....thats it???? You would think 50 points!!!!

On the one hand, the BK-notation is gone. On the other hand, you are now back in the "clean" league, meaning your credit is compared to the those again who do not have a BK on file.

Now, how "active" have you been in using credit over the past 7 years? I always point out that it's wise to build new credit on day one after your discharge. That avoids a "hole" in your credit-history and gets you prepared for the day your BK falls of your report.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to most credit counselors that I've spoken to, a BK will demolish your credit score when it hits.  As the BK ages, it effects your credit score less.  There is no solid numbers, but the first 2 years are hit by far the hardest, 200-350 points.  After 3 years it's starts to devalue slowly.  Again no solid numbers but maybe only removing 150 - 300 points. it keeps devaluing over time until around it's 8 or 9th year on your report where it weighs in at less than 20 - 40 points on your credit reports.  By the 10th year, as you have seen it's effect is generaly only worth 0 - 10 points.  This is true with all derogitory information on your credit report.  The older it gets, the less value it holds.  The crown for BK's however, is that many institutions that offer credit (of any kind) won't offer credit with a BK on your report regardelss of how old it is.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.