Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor STILL checking fico score after bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor STILL checking fico score after bankruptcy

Nearly two years ago my husband and I had all of our debts forgiven in a chapter 7 bankruptcy (too many hospital bills). In the terms, we surrendered our car to the loaning bank and the balance was included in the bankruptcy. We surrendered the car in Arizona a few days before moving back to Northern California. The bank hired someone to drive the car from Arizona to Northern California (where the bank was). Along the way, the driver racked up $1,724 in traffic violations... which were sent to me... and no amount of arguing got me out of paying the violations.

Sense filing, we have NOT applied for any credit, we have paid every bill (electric, rent, cell phone etc.) on time. Upon checking our credit last week I noticed that our fico score has improved greatly... but... the bank where we had an auto loan has inquired my husbands and my fico score SEVERAL TIMES! I called the bank and asked them the reason for the fico inquires. I got several "we will call you back shortly"... with never getting a call back.

What would the reason be for the bank to inquire both of our fico scores? Do they have a right to even though we haven't applied for anything in years? We bought the car in 2006, we gave them permission then to run our credit then... but now 4 years and a discharged bankruptcy later, I don't see why they should still be allowed to run our credit.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Creditor STILL checking fico score after bankruptcy

Welcome to the forums.

It's not unusual for a lender to do periodic account reviews. Many of mine do this very thing. It's nothing to worry about.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

It's not unusual for a lender to do periodic account reviews. Many of mine do this very thing. It's nothing to worry about.

From a BK years ago to:
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Whats In Your FICO Score

If an account is IIB then that financial institution is no longer your creditor and has no pp to pull your credit unless for promotional purposes.

Message 3 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If an account is IIB then that financial institution is no longer your creditor and has no pp to pull your credit unless for promotional purposes.

You are correct and  I should have phrased it better.  Smiley Happy  Unless a person opts out lenders can and will continue with account reviews. Admittedly though this doesn't sound like a review strictly for promotional purposes.

From a BK years ago to:
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are correct and  I should have phrased it better.  Smiley Happy  Unless a person opts out lenders can and will continue with account reviews. Admittedly though this doesn't sound like a review strictly for promotional purposes.

From a BK years ago to:
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Whats In Your FICO Score

I'm not exactly wure what OP means by saying the creditor is checking her FICO score.  There's no way to know that.

I think OP means that the creditor is checking her credit report -- but unclear whether it is a hard or a soft pull.

By the way, is the creditor Santander?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

All I know is when I pulled up my credit report, I can see who is inquiring... ya know... It shows  that Plumis Bank (the bank where we had a car loan) has checked both my husbands and mine credit several times. Whether it was a hard or soft inquire, I am not sure. What is the difference in hard n soft?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

All I know is when I pulled up my credit report, I can see who is inquiring... ya know... It shows  that Plumis Bank (the bank where we had a car loan) has checked both my husbands and mine credit several times. Whether it was a hard or soft inquire, I am not sure. What is the difference in hard n soft?

A hard INQ is one that other creditors who pull your credit report can see while a soft INQ is visible only to you.  Where did you pull your copies of your credit reports?

Do you have dates that they pulled your credit files? 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the inquires on Equifax. The dates were (and are the same for my husband) 5/21/10, 1/29/09, 8/15/08, 5/03/08 and then the initial one when we purchased the car in March of 07...

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I found the inquires on Equifax. The dates were (and are the same for my husband) 5/21/10, 1/29/09, 8/15/08, 5/03/08 and then the initial one when we purchased the car in March of 07...

On your Equifax report, are the inquiries listed in the section that says "Inguiries viewable only by you?"

What was the date that you surrendered the car to the creditor?

On a somewhat unrelated note, did you pay those traffic violations yet that the bank's repo man racked up?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is only one section for inquires... I am thinking perhaps I should pull them up someplace else too...

We surrendered the car in november of 07. Bankrupsty discharged september of 08.

The traffic violations were sent to my mother in laws address in Arizona... I have NO idea why, so by the time she sent them to us they were passed due.. "Thanks Ma"... I paid them and the past due amount... not cool ya know...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.