Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor not included in bankruptcy, but still reports as such

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor not included in bankruptcy, but still reports as such

So, I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy 12/14 and discharged 03/15.  I had a fingerhut card that was opened, but never used.  I provided a copy of my credit report to the attorney and that is how they obtained the list of creditors.  Fingerhut was reporting and was included, but the account was never used and confirmed account was never used.  Fast forward - Fingerhut reflects that it was included in the bankruptcy even though it was never used.  I've attemtped (2x) to dispute, but still being told they were included and it's accurate.   Any suggestions of how to get this updated or am I stuck?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creditor not included in bankruptcy, but still reports as such

It's reporting correctly.

You can't pick and choose what gets included in your BK . . any account that is open at the time of filing is (except for the rare unicorns that slip through the cracks.)

A lot of folks say to close anything at $0 balance on your own before filing to avoid this.

Water under the bridge . . nothing to stress at this point.

Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Well, you can't pick & choose which debts to include in your BK, but in my opinion credit accounts that have a $0 balance should not be included in the filing. I had two $0 balance accounts in my 2010 BK7. One was Lowes and my attorney saw it on my credit report but didn't include it in my filing as it has a $0 balance. But Lowes is Synchrony and I did have balance on two other Synchrony account that were included, so when they got those notices they closed Lowes - but I lucked out, they just noted "Closed by credit grantor" instead of "Included in BK". That's why you should close anything at $0 balance before filing, "Closed by consumer" is better than "Closed by credit grantor" and much, much better than "Included in BK". My other $0 balance account was Bill Me Later, which became PayPal Credit. It was from Comenity Bank and as I had no other accounts with them they weren't informed of my BK filing and it survived my BK, still have it today.

But wynkoop1626, there is really nothing you can do, the account was included in Bk by your attorney and they took the correct action of closing it and reporting it as included in BK. And it's really very minor having one more account listed as IIB, and they will all fall off in 7 years.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me as well. I paid off and closed discover but they said that I included them in bk when I do the prequal on their website. But on my reports they have that I closed them. Which was months before I filed.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the input....I figured as much, but thought I would ask.

Again...Thank-you for the advice.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had Discover with $0 balance and they closed it and reported "Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition" even though my lawyer did not include them in the BK. I suppose all it takes is a quick review of your CR to find out. They do provide the Discover Scorecard afterall so silly me to think they would provide me my credit info while looking the other way. SMH!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.