cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER IT Approved 5 months Post BK!!!

tag
indygo

Re: DISCOVER IT Approved 5 months Post BK!!!

Did they give you the It with revolving categories or the It Chrome?

Message 21 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trying583 no is not a secured its a regular
Citi double cash
Message 22 of 41
holmesnmanny
Contributor

I'm guessing Discover didn't take any action against you cause you didn't include a balance from them. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 23 of 41
panthersguy
New Contributor

Got the revolving categories.....this quarter it's gas and ground transportation.....  ;-)

Message 24 of 41
panthersguy
New Contributor

@holmesnmanny wrote:

I'm guessing Discover didn't take any action against you cause you didn't include a balance from them. 

That's what I'm thinking too....hopefully can get their CLI's over time.....

Message 25 of 41
holmesnmanny
Contributor

I think that's the overall idea behind them blacklisting is to try to punish people for including balances so that more people don't. It means less losses for them in the end. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My final Bankruptcy discharge was in August 2012.  I applied for a Discover card in October 2015 after a prequalification for the IT card, and my application for the unsecured card was denied.  I subsequently applied for a secured card this month, thinking I would definitely be approved.  I was again denied, and I unsuccessfully escalated my recon to the EO level.  The reason for the denial was my previous history with Discover.  Mind you, I had paid satisfactorily for the entire duration of my tenure as an account holder with Discover prior to and up to the point of my bankruptcy filing (my account was paid in full with a zero blance when I filed), but because I was a cardholder at the time I filed bankruptcy and my account was closed by Discover as a result of the bankruptcy, they refuse to extend me credit.  I currently have Capital One Secured Card with a $750 CL and Quicksilver MC with a $3000 CL, three Barclay Cards with $3500 CL in sum, an Amazon Store Card with a $5000 CL, and  a Sears Citibank with a $2500 limit and no balances on any of these cards.  I am so angry that I wasted a hard inquiry on Discover yet again, especially given this technicality.  Clearly if I had personally closed the account myself prior to my filing , I would be approved.  My Experian FICO 8 is 673, Equifax 696, and Transunion 709.

Message 27 of 41
kjm79
Valued Contributor

I'll add my Discover process to this thread for any who may be following:

I did include a Walmart/Discover in my BK with a balance of ~$400. Co-branded, not sure if Discover counts that as "burning" them.  

D/C October 2015. Very next day app'd for Capital One Platinum and Quicksilver One. Each with SL of $2,000. Just PC'd my Platinum to the prime Quicksilver, no AF, 1.5% rewards. CL's are now at $2,150 and $2,200 respectively. My credit steps should be coming up soon too, after which I will see about combining the two cards into just the Quicksilver. I haven't used these cards as much as I should for rebuilding and getting CLI's but they started out pretty generous out of the gate. Can't complain at all. 

In Januaryish I did the Discover prequal and came back with a big NO. Did the prequal again last week (just shy of 5 months post D/C) and it offered me the IT card, 0% intro APR (can't recall rate thereafter), no AF, and the 5% cash back. I went ahead and applied. I wasn't approved for the original offer but they countered same terms, except for no 0% intro APR and rate was 23%. My UTIL at the time of app'ing was ~30%. I was approved with starting limit of $1,800. 

Definitely an iffy creditor on their approvals. But there certainly is life after BK! 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 28 of 41
Scupra
Super Contributor

@kjm79 wrote:

I'll add my Discover process to this thread for any who may be following:

I did include a Walmart/Discover in my BK with a balance of ~$400. Co-branded, not sure if Discover counts that as "burning" them.  

D/C October 2015. Very next day app'd for Capital One Platinum and Quicksilver One. Each with SL of $2,000. Just PC'd my Platinum to the prime Quicksilver, no AF, 1.5% rewards. CL's are now at $2,150 and $2,200 respectively. My credit steps should be coming up soon too, after which I will see about combining the two cards into just the Quicksilver. I haven't used these cards as much as I should for rebuilding and getting CLI's but they started out pretty generous out of the gate. Can't complain at all. 

In Januaryish I did the Discover prequal and came back with a big NO. Did the prequal again last week (just shy of 5 months post D/C) and it offered me the IT card, 0% intro APR (can't recall rate thereafter), no AF, and the 5% cash back. I went ahead and applied. I wasn't approved for the original offer but they countered same terms, except for no 0% intro APR and rate was 23%. My UTIL at the time of app'ing was ~30%. I was approved with starting limit of $1,800. 

Definitely an iffy creditor on their approvals. But there certainly is life after BK! 

"I did include a Walmart/Discover in my BK with a balance of ~$400. Co-branded, not sure if Discover counts that as "burning" them."

Just for others who are reading.. No, Discover would not consider this burning them. The Walmart Discover was issued by Synchrony and just used the Discover network. Huge congrats on the approval, time to earn some cash back!!!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 29 of 41
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

"I did include a Walmart/Discover in my BK with a balance of ~$400. Co-branded, not sure if Discover counts that as "burning" them."

Just for others who are reading.. No, Discover would not consider this burning them. The Walmart Discover was issued by Synchrony and just used the Discover network. Huge congrats on the approval, time to earn some cash back!!!

Yeah, I assumed the co-branding didn't apply to burning Discover. Thank goodness!  Thanks! Can't wait for the year end double cash back rewards! Smiley Happy

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.