Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISPUTING LATES BEFORE BK

tag
sihmud
Regular Contributor

DISPUTING LATES BEFORE BK

Hello all,

I've been surfing this forum for a few months and have read multiple opinions regarding a certain topic...DISPUTING LATES THAT ARE ON MY REPORT FROM BEFORE FILING BK. I would like to get a straight-up answer if possible.

my bk was discharged this month, however, unfortunately, I do have late on my credit report from before filing bk. starting back in 2016. from what I have seen my account statuses are reporting properly..IIB, zero balance. but the lates and derogs from years back are still there.

I have read forums where people state to dispute, dispute, and dispute again until removed. and I have read other posts that state to NOT dispute correct information... i was late so it is correct information. in all honesty, I would like to see if it's possible to remove these accounts. if it is possible to dispute what exactly do I list the dispute reason as? I've read on here that people have disputed and cleared their reports to the point where the only negative item is the BK itself. id like to do this.

I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: DISPUTING LATES BEFORE BK

@sihmud wrote:

Hello all,

I've been surfing this forum for a few months and have read multiple opinions regarding a certain topic...DISPUTING LATES THAT ARE ON MY REPORT FROM BEFORE FILING BK. I would like to get a straight-up answer if possible.

my bk was discharged this month, however, unfortunately, I do have late on my credit report from before filing bk. starting back in 2016. from what I have seen my account statuses are reporting properly..IIB, zero balance. but the lates and derogs from years back are still there.

I have read forums where people state to dispute, dispute, and dispute again until removed. and I have read other posts that state to NOT dispute correct information... i was late so it is correct information. in all honesty, I would like to see if it's possible to remove these accounts. if it is possible to dispute what exactly do I list the dispute reason as? I've read on here that people have disputed and cleared their reports to the point where the only negative item is the BK itself. id like to do this.

I appreciate everyone's help in advance.

I got rid of all my late payents from pre-filing and it made zero difference to scores.  It looks nicer but that's it.  

FICO scores are based based on your WORST delinquency, so that charge-off from the bankruptcy outweighs any late payments.   The late payments will fall off 7 years from the date of each late payment, unless there was a string of payments before the BK filing that caused the card to charge off before the BK.   Then that charged off account will vanish seven years from the actual chargeoff date.  

The killer is the chargeoffs.   When mine fell off in the couple of months prior to the seven year mark, my scores jumped 30 to 70 points per bureau.   You can knock your socks off trying to get rid of late pays but it's only for vanity's sake.   It makes zero difference in score and it is entirely accurate for the lenders to report all of the late pays for 7 full years.   Best of luck.  It gets better!

Message 2 of 4
sihmud
Regular Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished i appreciate the response and info, thank you

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good one @CH-7-Mission-Accomplished . Plus some lenders would look at it as hey you just made us lose money and you want us to remove late payments for you? Cough cough. Not happening. Save the disputes and updated score dings. Work on rebuilding.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.