cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt and Social Security Income

tag
shatter1

Debt and Social Security Income

Daughter is disabled and receives SSI.  She received a summons from an attorney regarding an unpaid credit card bill a week ago.  She lives with me now and SSI ($474) is her only income.  She has several other cards that are also unpaid.  She got into debt when while trying to attend college but had a relapse. She is unable to pay these bills.  Can the creditor garnish her SSI?  Can they take her car (value $3500)?    They are in her name only.  Can the creditor come take items from my home because she lives with me?  I'll look forward to your response.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt and Social Security Income

First thing you need to do is call your state bar referral for the number to an attorney who practices in this area of law.  Laws will vary by state.  Referrals from the bar usually have a low or no initial fee.

Usually there are "exempt" items, such as a car, personal items and a minimum level of income (they can't leave you unable to pay for necessities).  If these are not government debts, they won't be able to file an offset (meaning the government redirects to the governement debt obligation).

If she is disabled, is she able to drive?  If not and it is worth $3500, possibly selling it to settle these (get a settlement for less than owed) so that you don't have to worry in the future.

They can seek judgements, report to her credit, etc.  But there is only so much they can do if there are no assets and minimal income.

But again, I advise at least an initial consult with a bar referral attorney in your area that practices in this area of law.

She could also speak to a BK attorney.  If she is permanently disabled and presents little or no ability to pay off the debts, then a discharge of debts may be in her best interest.

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-16-2009 03:02 PM
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.