Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for credit one card

tag
apay
Valued Member

Declined for credit one card

Both me and spouse due to burning them in ch 7. Trying rebuild steps and it just says to get secured card through credit union.
Which credit union do you recommend to do this?
Do I then follow all steps accordingly with secured card as if it were credit one card in the instructions?
My spouse has received prequalified offers from capital one. Should we try that? Or risking too many inquiries?

Thanks!!
6 REPLIES 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Declined for credit one card

@apay wrote:
Both me and spouse due to burning them in ch 7. Trying rebuild steps and it just says to get secured card through credit union.
Do I then follow all steps accordingly with secured card as if it were credit one card in the instructions?
My spouse has received prequalified offers from capital one. Should we try that? Or risking too many inquiries?

Thanks!!

Both of you should run your info through the Cap1 prequal to see if anything pops up. If something comes up, go ahead and apply for that. Cap1 prequal is pretty spot on for the most part. I know the decline may sting a bit but look at it as a blessing in disguise Smiley Happy

Are you currently a member of any credit unions? If so, call them up and inquire about the policy on BK. Obviously someone you have a relationship with already would be best.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 7
apay
Valued Member

Thanks!!

My husband had a navy federal credit union account many years ago. So I assume he’s a member? his father was in the navy.
Message 3 of 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

@apay wrote:
Thanks!!

My husband had a navy federal credit union account many years ago. So I assume he’s a member? his father was in the navy.

Go join NFCU now! Smiley Very Happy They are life savers for us BK'ers

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@apay wrote:

Thanks!!

Probably a good thing. Go through Capital One and a credit union such as SDFCU, PenFed, NASAFCU, DCU, etc.

Cap one is infinitely preferrable to Predator One.

Message 5 of 7
apay
Valued Member

Thanks!  Went to prequal site for cap one.  My spouse got approved, and we added myself as second user.  I agree blessing in disguise credit one was awful to deal with.  They still haven't corrected my credit reports to show as included in bk 7 too.

@Anonymous wrote:

@apay wrote:

Thanks!!

Probably a good thing. Go through Capital One and a credit union such as SDFCU, PenFed, NASAFCU, DCU, etc.

@Anonymous wrote:

@apay wrote:

Thanks!!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if your husband is no longer a member (but had accounts in good standing), he continues to be eligible as a family member of a veteran (his father). If he re-joins Navy Federal, he'll be able to sponsor you as well. 

For the secured card, just make sure Navy Federal has not taken a loss, your bankruptcy is discharged and your debt-to-income ratio is sufficient to repay the credit card (e.g. no more than 45% of your gross monthly income should go toward payments reported on your credit report).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.