Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted bankruptcy

tag
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

Re: Deleted bankruptcy

@teddy67 wrote:
My bankruptcy was in 2001.  Last year each of the creditors began dropping off of my report, and each time one did, my FICO score dropped and kept getting lower each time another one of my creditors dropped off.  I was shocked and devestated because of this.  I have 2 credit cards that I have been using for the last 4 years and have always paid the entire balance every month, never once was I late.  Watching my score go up every couple of months and then drop drastically again the next month finally made me call MyFico.  I was told that each time one of the creditors from my bankruptcy had dropped off of my credit report, it caused a big decrease in my fico score, and that it would continue to do so until all of the creditors dropped off my report.  She was entirely correct, because when they all finally dropped off of my credit report, my fico score went up a whopping 100 points and is presently 744.  I still have a couple of years to go, before my credit report is totally clear of any mention of a bankruptcy.

Would one of our expertsSmiley Wink on this forum (i.e. fused) please try to explain to me why the FICO DEcreases if negative accounts fall off the report while you have a BK on file? So somebody who has 30 charge-offs on file after his CH7 has a higher score than somebody with only one? It doesn't make sense to me...

I do understand that your score increases dramatically once all derogatory accounts fall off - but the prior dropp is totally weird. I always thought once you have a BK on file, your score is calculated in comparison to others who have a BK as well. Now why is somebody with a higher number of derog. accounts on file "more credit-worthy"??

Thanks in advance!

Message Edited by ScoreBooster on 01-15-2009 09:28 PM
Message 71 of 105
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

ScoreBooster wrote:

Would one of our expertsSmiley Wink on this forum (i.e. fused) please try to explain to me why the FICO DEcreases if negative accounts fall off the report while you have a BK on file? So somebody who has 30 charge-offs on file after his CH7 has a higher score than somebody with only one? It doesn't make sense to me...

I'm no expert, but removing an old CO can drop your scores. I've have paid and unpaid COs fall off resulting in a lower score. Why?

Because when those old TLs fall off, you are losing badly needed history. When you lose that history, your AAoA drops and sometimes that weighted more, score-wise, than the baddie itself. Now CAs need to come off, but when asking old OC COs to disappear, via a GW or whatever, you always need to consider the AAoA. If the account is older than your AAoA, then don't touch it. However, it's OK to take the risk from time to time to ask them to remove a remark, late, etc. If the CO is younger than your AAoA, then GW them to ask for removal; it will only help your score.

Another factor to be considered is the length of positive history in that TL (if reporting monthly) in relation to the bad. If removing an old CO, you may be removing more good than bad.

Message 72 of 105
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@ScoreBooster wrote:

I'm no expert, but removing an old CO can drop your scores. I've have paid and unpaid COs fall off resulting in a lower score. Why?

Because when those old TLs fall off, you are losing badly needed history. When you lose that history, your AAoA drops and sometimes that weighted more, score-wise, than the baddie itself. Now CAs need to come off, but when asking old OC COs to disappear, via a GW or whatever, you always need to consider the AAoA. If the account is older than your AAoA, then don't touch it. However, it's OK to take the risk from time to time to ask them to remove a remark, late, etc. If the CO is younger than your AAoA, then GW them to ask for removal; it will only help your score.

Another factor to be considered is the length of positive history in that TL (if reporting monthly) in relation to the bad. If removing an old CO, you may be removing more good than bad.

Thanks (Kudos!) for that reply - that makes sense.Smiley Happy

I was just confused if this rule applies in general. So I guess if accounts dropp off that were relatively young (i.e. 6 months) charge-offs, your score goes up - anf if you included an old account in your BK before it was even reporting 30 days late, your score goes down when they fall off. I agree, it makes sense.

I was just thinking of my situation with my bunch of "young" charge-off accounts. I just couldn't think of any reason why my score should go down once they are gone...

Message 73 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed chapter 7 w/ spouse Oct 2003.  Working to clean up my credit.  Got a house mortgage (my name only) Oct 2005.  Divorced Oct 2007 

Took out overdraft protection Line of credit Took out Car loan 4/08  and HELOC Oct 2008 (to pay off ex husband)  

Current FICO is in the high 600s and low 700s.  No late payments Credit to debt ratio is at 82% (because of HELOC)  Want to refi and pay a chunk on mortgage principal in 2 years after the BK falls off and I get the HELOC and car loan at least cut in half. 

So my question is do I still need more revolving credit stuff? or is the HELOC and overdraft protection enough to help come 2 yrs from now.  

Thanks 

Message 74 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found there are two schools of thought:  FICO and Reality.

While FICO is used by credit grantors as a tool, so is the actual contents of your credit report.  And FICO is not a guarantee of credit.  For example, my brother has a median FICO of 740.  He filed BK in 2000, so that won't drop for another 2 years.  However, he reaffirmed a couple accounts keeping his length of history above 12 years, and he has established new credit and kept his credit clean and ratios under 20%. 

However, even though his score is 740, with great history for the past 6 years, Bank of America declined him for a $25k auto loan simply because he has a BK on his credit.  Of interest to know, this is where he banks, has substantial cash and investments and has business banking.  But they would not reconsider.

Capital One granted the loan with 7% interest and did instant approval. 

Bottom line:  You can have a great fico but still be declined because credit decisions are made on more than just FICO.  Some companies have credit policies that say, "regardless of FICO score, certain items in credit profile are deal breakers."

Message 75 of 105
nfig
New Visitor

Before ch. 7, too many revolving accounts, BUT I kept paying them on time until about 90 days before filing.

I kept 2 credit cards with with low balances and continued to use them after the discharge. I had a student loan and a gym "loan" at Bally's. 

One year after the discharge my FICO was 593 xpn, 653 tu, and 643 efx.

5 years on xpn 712, 707 tu, and 692 Beacon. Bought a house and car two years later.

3 months after the BK was "purged" it was xpn 771, 758 tu, and 751 Beacon.

SO, my scores went UP, like I expected. Then again, compared to the typical BK pool, I had been rebuilding my rating for 10 years without a slip up, just waiting for the bad stuff to drop off. I suspect by next year, my average should be another 10-20 points higher. Even so, I'm quite happy with those scores.

Message Edited by nfig on 02-05-2009 06:26 PM
Message 76 of 105
myfico5378
New Contributor

I've just reached a whole new frustration level with this scoring game, so I found my way back to the forums to see where I'd gone wrong.  Apparently, getting rid of IIB accounts wasn't a good idea... They were due to fall off in the next month or two so I disputed as too old on TU only to see what would happen.  TU deleted all of my IIB accounts.  YEAH... or so I thought.  So, I logged in to FICO to see how my score changed (my most recent score was just 10 days prior) and it DROPPED 15 POINTS!  I went from 655 to 640.  I know my revolving credit is too high (56%), but it will be under 30% this Friday, so I'm anxious to see how that will affect it.  My AAofA did drop from 5+ to 4, but my oldest tradeline is 19+ years (it's an AU).  I've had numerous (5 or 6?) car loans since I filed BK, a couple of boat loans, a few personal loans, and 8 or 9 credit cards.  All have been paid on time.  The only negative left on my account is the BK itself. 

DH and I are planning to get a new mortgage in the next 6 months (if we sell his house and my rent house).  My revolving credit will be less than 10% before we apply.  Do you think my scores will be up by then?

BTW, my DH has several charge-offs and 2 collections on his reports.  I've cleaned up what I can, but there are still a few showing.  His EQ is 686.  How does that happen???! 

Message 77 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get a chance to read all the way through this thread, but saw there was some contention as to whether your score would go up or down when a BK gets gone. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone, but here's my results. BK7 was already off EQ and EX when I pulled on 2/4, but TU still showed it. Today, it's gone!! Yay me!!!!! Smiley Happy 

TU 2/4/09 658

TU 2/11/09 677 

I've already been through line by line, no public records is the ONLY difference! Now, gotta work on those baddies!!  

Message 78 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

My son in law's bankruptsy was discharged and two months later his Fico score on Equifax was 620 and he purchased a truck with a good interest rate. I filed bankruptsy and my score dropped to 480. I had it dismissed because I caught up the payments that was on the bankruptsy and my score went to 540 as soon as the dismissal was reported. So I don't believe that every body's fico score drops when a bankruptsy comes off.
Message 79 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a chapter 13 Bankruptcy and mine was dismissed 2 months after filing.  I believe having it discharged is better then dismissed.  I also think that if you have been able to rebuild your credit before the bankruptcy that is the difference between the scores.  A chapter 7 I know is 10 years but a chapter 13 discharged is only 7 years.  It certainly has taken me a long time to get back where I left off from.  It makes sense that it will have to take time I mean we can't go bankrupt and think that everything stays the same.  I have been working on my scores for over 2 years now and I am now at 648 with Equifax but it has taken time.  I also got a lot of help from this forum on what to do and what not to do.  After the first 2 years it is not supposed to hurt your credit that much but mine is the first negative that pops up on my credit report so I am not so sure about that either.  Over time your score will find its way back as long as you pay all your bills on time and try to stay under 50% on your credit card useage.
Message 80 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.