Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Penn Fed Card

tag
AJR1
Contributor

Denied Penn Fed Card

I guess to soon - Got the Response in 24-48 hrs message called and said denied because of BK - Been discharged since 6/22/18

Little depressed scores are over 620 across the board - Is this normal

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Denied Penn Fed Card

PenFed is a tough one post BK in my experience. If you are a member of Navy Federal, I would suggest starting with their secured card. It will graduate.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive seen data points for  Penfed stating you are more likely for approval with 650/679 fico9. 

Message 3 of 10
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

AJR1,

Unless something has changed, Penfed normally approves credit cards with a 650 score or higher and 12 months of perfect credit(maybe 24 months).  It’s my experience that they aren’t as bankruptcy friendly as other lenders.  Now 

I carry two cards from Penfed and my bankruptcy was discharged in Feb 2012.

Since you already took a hit, you could recon the denial. You could also turn around and get a secured loan to build a relationship with PENFED. My feeling is PENFED is a great CU but are very conservative in their lending practices.  

BTW, your scores look fine at this point of your credit rebuilding stage. I think my FICO scores didn’t reach 650 until after 9 months.  Don’t worry it takes time to let new accounts age and regain perfect credit history. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 10
AJR1
Contributor

Just want a REAL credit card - Ill keep chugging along

Message 5 of 10
AJR1
Contributor

Has anyone gotten the card after going thru the RECON

Message 6 of 10
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

If Capital One or Discover weren't included in your BK then I would try them.

Message 7 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I dont think I will ever deal with PenFed again.  Smiley Mad

They instantly approved me for $10k Visa Sig (max SL) then denied me for anything.

Process took over 2 weeks of non-returned emails, etc.

Thought I wanted a credit union credit card even though no real rewards any better than what I have already.  I thought wrong.

I don't want to get into details, but common sense went out the window day 3.

759 EX at 8% utl with 1 inq at time of pull.  

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AJR1 wrote:

Has anyone gotten the card after going thru the RECON

I did. I got the card on recon after filling out their email survey, and basically saying why I wanted the card, and what Ive done to rebuild etc...SL $500, now $5k

Message 9 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

I dont think I will ever deal with PenFed again.  Smiley Mad

They instantly approved me for $10k Visa Sig (max SL) then denied me for anything.

Process took over 2 weeks of non-returned emails, etc.

Thought I wanted a credit union credit card even though no real rewards any better than what I have already.  I thought wrong.

I don't want to get into details, but common sense went out the window day 3.

759 EX at 8% utl with 1 inq at time of pull.  

Here is where is gets silly...

6 months later I get denied for NFCU flagship with Fico 745 and utilization of around 12-15% (0% offers).

I apply for cash rewards from NFCU and get $1k SL!  Yes $1k!  by far my lowest card.

So NFCU, who gives 575 Fico scores $25k SLs, gave me $1k with a 745 Fico after denying me for a flagship.

Then I apply for a Regions (conservative bank) and get a $10k SL.

Then I get like $10k-$15k in CLIs on existing cards.

Then for some reason, I decide to apply for PenFed and I get instant approval for $15k SL!  Huh?

PenFed denied me at 759 due to "too much credit" then approve me when I have lower Fico, more inquiries, and like $50k more credit available.

I honestly have no idea how credit unions think but I will figure it out one day.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.