Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharge and new car purchase.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discharge and new car purchase.

Hello everyone, I filed for bankruptcy couple months ago and received my discharge yesterday. We are in need of a car, what are the rules for purchasing after a BK? Do I have to wait any amount of time or can I go ahead and try to shop for car financing. How likely am I to be approved being this fresh out of a BK? Sorry for the questions, I don’t want to go into a dealer and start running credit checks when my chance of getting a new car are pretty nonexistent. Any help is Appreciated. Thank you!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Discharge and new car purchase.

Lots of people have had good success, I was able to get a new car right after discharge from Toyota. Check out the Cap 1 autoloans, I hear lots get approved right after BK.

What are your score looking like? Have you started the rebuilding process yet?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a small CC with capital one, but they denied us for a car loan. I have a 600 score, my husband is in the mid 400’s. I am a stay at home mom, he works full time.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carvana may give you a prequal approval as soon as your discharge is reporting, and you can see what that would be without taking a hard pull.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did look at Carvana and they wanted at least $5,000 down for something a lot older than we’re comfortable with, and more miles then I would like on a car. On top of this hefty down payment the least monthly payment they offered me was in the $500 range. Smiley Sad
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were discharged yesterday, it may not be showing on your credit report yet.  Once it's reporting correctly, that should help with all of them.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does a discharge take to report on credit?
Message 7 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

It depends, could be fast or not happen. I had to disbute the CRAs to get it corrected, took weeks.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased a new 2018 Chevy Trax two days post BK discharge, and got 9.9% rate, approved by GM. (for a used one it was going to be a lot higher APR, I was VERY happy). My score was in the 550's at the time. So it can be done! I called right into the finance division of the dealership and talked, told them my issue. They worked and worked with me, and I couldn't be happier. Just wanted to let you know it IS possible. Best of luck to you.

There's also a great auto forum on here that may be helpful to you.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.