Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharged and approved for Cap 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discharged and approved for Cap 1

Hello,

I have been reading topics since I first filed for BK 7. Im officially discharged as of yesterday. I have been also checking the prequal website for cap 1 and I've been getting prequal offers since maybe 1.5 months ago but wanted to wait until discharged. So today, I pulled the trigger and got approved for 3k for the platinum!! I am so happy about this since Ive burned them. Well actually, my acct w/ them was charged off in 2019.

I honestly don't know what to do next.. Is this one card enough for me to rebuild? Or should I try to get a secured card from my credit union? Ive burned a lot of them.. NFCU, Amex, Chase, Citi, Synchrony etc.. Im just glad to be even able to get an unsecured card for 3k. I have an offer from credit one but I rather not pay annual fees if i can avoid it.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all!! 😊

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

Re: Discharged and approved for Cap 1

Congrats on the approval! That is a great card to begin to rebuild with. I would definitely check with your CU, like you stated. While you don't necessarily need multiple cards to start moving things in the right direction, to really optimize your scoring you should have 3 revolvers and an installment. I would be patient and explore your options and see what kind of non-predatory terms you are able to come up with, even if the other two end up being secured cards. Sometimes cards like Credit One are a necessary step in the process, but if you are able to dig in a and find some better options that would be awesome. Opening 3 around the same time as each other also gives you the advantage of the accounts aging together. As far as the installment goes, I would look into the SSL technique, which someone with more experience than me with those would have to chime in on. Congrats on your progress so far and good luck as you rebuild! 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice! After going through bankruptcy, I'm now scared to do anything that has to do with credit. But I know it's necessary so I can build my credit profile. My attorney did mention that having a car loan would help me rebuild but I have a car that's paid off and still in pretty good condition so won't be getting a car loan anytime soon. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep my current car for atleast another 2 years. I think I'll sit on having 1 card for now and might check with my CU later on.

Message 3 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your advice! After going through bankruptcy, I'm now scared to do anything that has to do with credit. But I know it's necessary so I can build my credit profile. My attorney did mention that having a car loan would help me rebuild but I have a car that's paid off and still in pretty good condition so won't be getting a car loan anytime soon. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep my current car for atleast another 2 years. I think I'll sit on having 1 card for now and might check with my CU later on.

As a suggestion, you might want to part with $5.00 and join PenFed; once your account is open, build the savings account up to say, $500 and open a Secured Share Loan against it; that will add a loan to your credit mix and help your scores.  PenFed is also an option for unsecured credit cards, but they are hit and miss for at least the first year after discharge.  Another recommend stop on your journey would be to apply for a Discover secured card.

Keep us posted.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Do you have a link where I can read more about SSL's? Or if you dont mind explaining what it is and how it works, I'd really appreciate it. I've also been eyeing PenFed credit cards since I've been hearing good things about them, but I know I probably wont quality yet.

Message 5 of 13
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I am waiting to be discharged myself. Should be next month sometime. Congrats on getting that $3k Cap One card!

Hopefully these threads can help you regarding SSL:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Sec...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/The-Quest-for-an-SSL-alternative-to-Alliant/td-p/5...

Message 6 of 13
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your CapOne Platinum approval.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 7 of 13
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  

Congrats on your discharge and great CapitalOne SL! 

Message 8 of 13
chalupaman
Super Contributor

$3k seems to be a very common SL with CapOne. That's what they gave me as well but I had to go the secured card route with them first. Congrats! 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 13
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous  Forgot to mention...

1. good luck on your journey. 
2. look up SoulMasters tips on BK to 700

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.