cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharged, starting my rebuild, and any advice appreciated. Here is who I burned.

tag
itspnutbutterkellytime
Regular Contributor

Discharged, starting my rebuild, and any advice appreciated. Here is who I burned.

My attorney sent me my discharge paperwork yesterday. I feel such a huge relief but also anxiety because I want to start my rebuild now and I don’t know where to begin. I burned most of the major creditors:

-Amex
-NFCU (sob)
-Discover
-Capital One
-Synchrony Bank
-Canvas CU (formerly Public Service Credit Union)
-Comenity

I do have a savings account with PenFed (and Alliant I believe) but I’m not even going to try and get any credit with them until I do at least a year of rebuilding. I’d also (eventually) like to get in with Chase as more of a long-term goal.

Credit one sent me a preapproval for a credit line of up to $2000. I've dealt with them before and, although the fees are absolutely atrocious, I never had issues with them because I always paid on time, never had late fees, etc. I closed the account as soon as I was out of the subprime range. But then I lost my job and had to live off of my credit cards once my emergency fund was depleted which is why I ended up having to file for bankruptcy. Now I'm here again. I don't have the means to do a secured card at this point, otherwise, I would go with Open Sky or something similar. So I'm going back and forth between accepting the CreditOne offer or not. 

Anyway...

If not with CreditOne, where do you guys suggest I start in terms of a starter card? 

FICO8 Scores as of 2022 MAY 18:

FICO Auto 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:

FICO Bankcard 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discharged, starting my rebuild, and any advice appreciated. Here is who I burned.

Well congrats on the DC. Yes your limited on what to go after. You say you dont have the funds to open a secured card at this moment. So there really isnt much more you can do than to go with Credit One. Thats is if its an unsecured card. I'd call and ask is that is what they pre-approved you for since you were a customer before in good standing. If you dont have an installment loan. There's Self Lender to cover that part of the credit mix if you can afford it. The part that you cant fund a secured card is the sticking point. Dont know any other oprions until things get better for you. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 3
kerinmiami
Regular Contributor

Re: Discharged, starting my rebuild, and any advice appreciated. Here is who I burned.

This is what I was told 

If I have an Amex card in Bk, how long would it take to get the card(s) back (Platinum, ED, Delta Platinum). Is it 7 -10 years. Actually any card I had before -

AMEX Blacklisted until paid back and then some

BOA -1,Until BK falls off in 10yrs

Chase-1,Until BK falls off in 10 yrs

Citi-2,Until BK falls off in 10 yrs

Cap 1-3,Usually close to or after 1 yr. YMMV

Discover - 1, To be safe. 1 yr out

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.