Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharged!

tag
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Discharged!

So I finally got my Chapter 7 discharge.  Happy about that.  Smiley Happy 

Question.  All of the major creditors involved changed to zero balance and Ch 7 soon after I filed.  Not sure if they will change again to say something more clear about being discharged.  But I'll wait to see what happens. 

There is only one account, a debt collector, that I'll be paying close attention to.  The acocunt is listed as open and has been on my report since shortly after I filed.  I disputed it at the time but all three credit reports came back saying it was valid.  This was 2 or so months ago. I decided to leave it alone until after the discharge.  

Any reason to wait the 60 days or so to see if it falls off or changes for the better?  Or should I dispute it now since the debt collectors debt AND the original creditors debt were both discharged in the Chapter 7.  

I was thinking either:

1) Wait 60 days and see what happens.

2) Dispute now online.

3) Call and dispute.

Reason for wondering is if having the collection agency on my reports with an "open" account would this impact the decision of any of the more lenient creditors out there when I apply for a few cards to build my credit.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discharged!

@nomadic_traveler wrote:

So I finally got my Chapter 7 discharge.  Happy about that.  Smiley Happy 

Question.  All of the major creditors involved changed to zero balance and Ch 7 soon after I filed.  Not sure if they will change again to say something more clear about being discharged.  But I'll wait to see what happens. 

There is only one account, a debt collector, that I'll be paying close attention to.  The acocunt is listed as open and has been on my report since shortly after I filed.  I disputed it at the time but all three credit reports came back saying it was valid.  This was 2 or so months ago. I decided to leave it alone until after the discharge.  

Any reason to wait the 60 days or so to see if it falls off or changes for the better?  Or should I dispute it now since the debt collectors debt AND the original creditors debt were both discharged in the Chapter 7.  

I was thinking either:

1) Wait 60 days and see what happens.

2) Dispute now online.

3) Call and dispute.

Reason for wondering is if having the collection agency on my reports with an "open" account would this impact the decision of any of the more lenient creditors out there when I apply for a few cards to build my credit.

Congrats and yes. You could send a copy of your discharge and the page that has all the creditors on it with the CA highlighted. Send it certified. Other reason to wait a bit longer. There might be a baddie pop up again. Then your lawyer can go after them for $1000.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.