cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discharging student debt (Not student loans)

tag
Daare2dreeam
Contributor

Discharging student debt (Not student loans)

Has anyone had experience they can share about discharging student debt?

I attended a college. I had additional costs like housing that my financial aid and student loans did not cover. I have less than a credit remaining to complete my degree but off course due to the debt the college will not release transcripts or allow me to at least complete the last class even if they do not give me the actual diploma. This has been going on for 5 years. I have filed and been discharged. The school has received notification of my discharged but has not cleared the balance and now is refusing to communicate with me stating the information has been forwarded to their legal department. No one will give me a name or contact.

Since this debt is not an actual loan shouldn’t it be discharged? Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Re: Discharging student debt (Not student loans)

how much are you talking?  

Talk to the attorney that filed

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is this debt classified as if it’s not a loan? At the college I went to the things you described were considered student loan debt. It wasn’t just tuition in my case. It was room and board, class fees, etc.
Message 3 of 4
Daare2dreeam
Contributor

On my petition it’s classified as “collection attorney (insert college name).” The debt was sent out to collections so when I filed the lawyer filed it under the collection agency/attorney that it was sold to. The amount varies between the college and the collections agency who added fees. It’s between $7000-$9000+. The lawyer told me right before discharge that he wasn’t familiar with this and the college may have their own rules. It’s a private school. It was basically debt from on campus housing. My tution was covered by financial aid and loans. My actual loans are listed under educational. This is literally a bill that was never paid. It’s been 5 years almost and I’d just like to finally get my degree and have the option to either pursue a higher degree or promote within my current company of employment.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.