Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disco still hates me

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Disco still hates me

Every once in a while I check Discover's preapproval to see if anything is there. Burned them for about $11k but have seen stories of them letting IIB back in. Just hit 5 years post discharge and decided to give it a whirl...nope. They still dislike ole' SCCredit with their "status of existing or prior Discover account"

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Disco still hates me

@sccredit 

I burned them for half that amount in my 13 and they still aren't talking to me 6 years later.  I have seen reports though of people getting back in after a 7 year wait... so I'm gonna try again later this year/early 2024.

FICO8 current as of : 4-6-24 EQ: 712 TU: 705 EX: 705
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 13
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@sccredit 

I burned them for half that amount in my 13 and they still aren't talking to me 6 years later.  I have seen reports though of people getting back in after a 7 year wait... so I'm gonna try again later this year/early 2024.

So only 2 more years for a shot? lol

I was a big fan of their customer service when I had them. Unfortunately, I really needed their credit (and everyone else's) in order to try to keep a busness afloat. One day....

Message 3 of 13
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@sccredit 

Burned them bad but JPM, USB, AmEx & BOA got it worse in my 13 - I'm about 6 months behind you I think, so you'll have to keep us all informed of the outcome when you give it a try (they won't even let me get a secured card with them, even USB allowed me that)

Message 4 of 13
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

So only 2 more years for a shot? lol

@sccredit 

That would be my guess.  Smiley LOL

@Lurker22 wrote:

Burned them bad but JPM, USB, AmEx & BOA got it worse in my 13 - I'm about 6 months behind you I think, so you'll have to keep us all informed of the outcome when you give it a try (they won't even let me get a secured card with them which, even USB allowed me that)

@Lurker22 

Yeah I will be posting details once I get back in with them.  Discover is the only previous creditor I had that I'm interested in at this point.  Already back in with Cap One and don't much care about paying back BECU since I'm in the door with NFCU.

For the record... just tried Disco again... 6 years and 1 month later.

Dear TRC_WA,

Thank you for your interest in Discover®. Unfortunately, at this time we are not able to provide you an offer due to the following:

STATUS OF EXISTING / PRIOR DISCOVER CARD ACCOUNT

Rest assured, your request did not impact your credit score.

You can submit another request eight days from the date of this letter.

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 5 of 13
wxman2021
Regular Contributor

I am just short of post 2 year BK7 DC (file date was 3/21) (2 yr post DC *MAY 23*) and now have gone from status of an existing account to now too many inq.  not sure how many is too many.  

edit...  burned them for $800 (The TL is off my report now)  on all 3 reports

DC (5/25/2021)
Current: EQ8 684 EQ9 669
Current: EX8 698 EX9 696
Current: TU8 718 TU9 724
As of 7/7/2023
UTIL 1%
Message 6 of 13
Zoostation1
Established Contributor

For me it was about 4yrs post filing BK7 (burned them for about $3k) for them to let me back in with a secured card that graduated to It Chrome.  FWIW was also sued by them but did not file till 2yrs after the initial suit documents.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 7 of 13
madmann26
Valued Contributor

I did their pre-approval thing a few weeks ago and the only reason they denied me was due to "bankruptcy".

I did not burn them when I filed.

Guess I'll have to wait until March 2024 (Feb 2024 my ch13 comes off with all the baddies).

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 13
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

I check every now and again to see if they would let me back in (burned them for ≈ $800 in my BK7 in 2021) but they don't have a pre-approval for even a secured card. I just checked now for the halibut and got the standard message:

STATUS OF EXISTING / PRIOR DISCOVER CARD ACCOUNT

While I would like to get back in with them, it won't break my heart if I don't I just recently was able to get my membership with NFCU and just last week they sent me an invitation to apply for a card, and even though I was going to wait, I pulled the trigger and got approved for a $12.5K SL, far and away my highest limit card and that's with less than 2 years out of BK.

So actually at this point, I might just wait until Disco comes at me with invitations instead of occasionally checking knowing I will most likely be denied.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 9 of 13
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I really feel like they'll let me back in after 7 years... seen quite a few people get back in at that time.  

If they don't I won't lose sleep over it... I have far too many options out there for creditors that I didn't burn... such as Citi, Chase, FNBO, BoA... that I'm confident I'll see approvals for once my baddies are gone later this year.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.