cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Card, when to app for it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Secured Card, when to app for it?

So I have been going thru threads and it sounds like the Discover Secured card is fairly easy to get. However, when doing the pre-qual site, I don't get any offers. I am about 7 months in my current Chapter 13, I have credit one and first premier credit cards. I was approved for a secured shared loan and secured credit card with SDFCU, 500 is what I am putting on the limit. I am waiting for my credit to reflect the loan and the new card. And that should leave me with 3 credit cards and a loan. Now back to Discover lol, I always wanted to atleast get my foot in the door with them. So I wanted to know once my scores update, what is the min. FICO you need to get approved for a secured card and who do they pull?

I am going to pull the trigger once the SDFCU products reflect on my report. Just wanted everyone elses experience with the Discover secured card. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secured Card, when to app for it?

The way i got mine is interesting... I applied on 1/8/2018 and it got denied (no prequal offers), then i check the pre-qual 3 days later and it pre-approved me. I applied and it got approved on 1/11/2018. They used the hardpull from 1/8/2018 only.

My TU was 561 and i had a USAA secured card reporting for 1 month before getting approved for it. Honestly, i don't think they care much about FICO because my wife has a 644 and they won't pre-qualify her either.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The way i got mine is interesting... I applied on 1/8/2018 and it got denied (no prequal offers), then i check the pre-qual 3 days later and it pre-approved me. I applied and it got approved on 1/11/2018. They used the hardpull from 1/8/2018 only.

My TU was 561 and i had a USAA secured card reporting for 1 month before getting approved for it. Honestly, i don't think they care much about FICO because my wife has a 644 and they won't pre-qualify her either.

Thank you very much for the reply. The interesting thing is, I never burned or had them before. Well since they pull TU, I will wait for my secured card and loan to hit my report to bring it up.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't burn or have them before my bankruptcy either

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am 2 weeks post ch 7 discharge.  I checked the prequal site and no offers were found so I cold apped the secured card and was denied. Received a letter cited recent derogatory credit and age of credit too low.  Funny thing, two days later I checked the prequal site and it said I was preapproved for the secured IT card.  Applied and was approved.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover cards are tricky. I had a dismissed ch7 12/16. I got pre approved 12/17. Only 1 year.. this was for an unsecured card with them. I applied and was shocked myself. Cli took a while even with heavy usage. 7 months too.. I would wait a bit longer before applying for a card. My scores were 690 at that time.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really like our Discover card!  Sure it's the Secured version but their customer service is top notch.

I've had it since late May and have already made 3 payments on it to keep the balance at zero. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.