Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover graduates my secured card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover graduates my secured card

I'm sooo happy!! Couple of days ago, I got a letter from Discover containing a check for my initial deposit of $200 and telling me that I have shown responsible account management. They gave me $1500 credit line. My discharge was July 24, 2018 and opened the secured account in the middle of August. I'm basically following "700 in 24 month" plan with AZEO. It maybe especially difficult for me, because I also filed for BK in 2010. Hopefully that will fall off the CR's towards the end of this year if I push for early exclusion. Cap1 ignores me altogether on their Pre-qual page, probably because I have burned them during my last discharge.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover graduates my secured card

Congratulations!!   That's awesome -- I know it must feel good to be rewarded (by at least one of your creditors Smiley Wink   Disco is better than Cap One anyways.. ).  Enjoy!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!

I am almost 5 statements in, hoping to have similar news in the next few months. I am a little worried though because since my limit is only $200 it is easy to go over.i think there was one time it went over, but I paid it immediately and before statement cut. Hopefully that doesn't negatively effect me Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

EXCELLENT! Congrats on your graduation!

lights(1).gif

Message 4 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats!!

.i think there was one time it went over, but I paid it immediately and before statement cut. Hopefully that doesn't negatively effect me Smiley Sad

Don't worry....I did the same thing. I called in and they said it was not on my report. (hope I didn't screw the pewwwch on that oneSmiley Embarassed) You are probably goodSmiley Wink

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sooo happy!! Couple of days ago, I got a letter from Discover containing a check for my initial deposit of $200 and telling me that I have shown responsible account management. They gave me $1500 credit line. My discharge was July 24, 2018 and opened the secured account in the middle of August. I'm basically following "700 in 24 month" plan with AZEO. It maybe especially difficult for me, because I also filed for BK in 2010. Hopefully that will fall off the CR's towards the end of this year if I push for early exclusion. Cap1 ignores me altogether on their Pre-qual page, probably because I have burned them during my last discharge.

Awesome, congrats!!!!!! U done goodSmiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 9
gggots1985

I just wanted to post this-  Give a 400 deposit in August 2018 as of today. I graduated to a 2000 credit limit Discover is returning my deposit next week. Please note my 7th  statement closed on the 23rd of March that was a Saturday. This is important to know.  It took Discover 5 business days to update the account. I haven't received an email yet. I did call customer service this morning the 28th.  The rep said I have some good news for you! That's how I found out. My take give it at least 5 days after your statement closes. My statement closed on a Saturday. I almost forgot. I ask the rep what day did they graduate me? she said the 24th - that was a Sunday again it took Discover 5 business days to update it in their system so don't freak out if you don't receive an email the day your statement closes.  My use of the card. I used it often paid it off every month with the exception of 2 months never went over the limit and never was late - Hope this helps.   

Message 7 of 9
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@gggots1985 wrote:

I just wanted to post this-  Give a 400 deposit in August 2018 as of today. I graduated to a 2000 credit limit Discover is returning my deposit next week. Please note my 7th  statement closed on the 23rd of March that was a Saturday. This is important to know.  It took them 5 business days to update the account. I haven't received an email yet. I did call customer service this morning the 28th.  The rep said I have some good news for you! That's how I found out. My take give it at least 5 days after your statement closes. My statement closed on a Saturday. I almost forgot.I ask the rep what day did they graduate me? she said the 24th - that was a Sunday it took Discover 5 business days to update it in their system. My use of the card. I used it often paid it off every month with the exception of 2 months never went over the limit and never was late - Hope this helps.   

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing info.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback wrote:

Congratulations!!   That's awesome -- I know it must feel good to be rewarded (by at least one of your creditors Smiley Wink   Disco is better than Cap One anyways.. ).  Enjoy!

Yes, Disco is indeed a valuable card and certainly much better than Cap1. My goal after discharge was to get 3 different card reporting and also an SSL somewhere. I got the 3 cards however my first card was CreditOne which comes with $75 annual fee. I don't want to pay that fee again and probably will close it before the 12th statement. Since I opened CreditOne a month before my discharge in June last year, I don't have too much time left to replace it with a no fee card. That is where it would be nice if Cap1 would take me back but they turned me down even for a secured. As far as SSL is concerned, a while ago I opened a savings account with SDFCU, but they forced the account closed in a week because my home address is considered commercial instead of residential. Go figure that one out. So Last week I started a 12 months "loan" with SelfLender. They haven't started reporting yet. TU stand at 668 and EX is 602. Quite a trip from the day after I filed BK when it was around 450 or so.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.