cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover- will changed IIB status to Account closed by creditor!!!

tag
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Discover- will changed IIB status to Account closed by creditor!!!

Discover customer service department is okay with me.  I filed bk on 4/4/17 and when I filed I didn't include Discover in my bankruptcy because I didn't have a balance at the time but the account was closed because I filed bk.  I filed pro se, & I honestly didn't know at the time that I was supposed to include accounts without a balance when filing.  The account status is listed as IIB on my reports even though it wasn't actually included in my bk.

So last week I called Discover to ask if I was okay to reapply for a  new card since it has been almost 2 years.  The representative said yes I am & he also told me I can sent a letter asking for the IIB status to be changed to read 'account closed by creditor'.  I didn't have a pen & paper to write the address down at that time so I call back today and I spoke to a wonderful representative who submitted my request to the credit bureaus over the phone.   She said it will take up to 30 days for my credit reports to update but it will only take a week to update in their system.  

So within 30 days the account status will read 'Account closed by creditor' which will remove the negative account status from my reports & will remain in the positive status for 10 years.  I just wished I would have called sooner but I'm happy.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover- will changed IIB status to Account closed by creditor!!!

Thats great. Let us know what happens. That would be a great data point. Did you apply and get approved?

Message 2 of 10
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. No, I haven't reapplied yet I'm waiting until my utilization updates. I'm at 31% right now...I should be at 5% once my reports update. I will definitely keep you updated.

January 2022
Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kiea wrote:
Thank you. No, I haven't reapplied yet I'm waiting until my utilization updates. I'm at 31% right now...I should be at 5% once my reports update. I will definitely keep you updated.

Good thinking on the util. Could lead to a higher SL and lower APR. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 10
kiea
Frequent Contributor

Thank you

January 2022
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am curious to know what happened with this. We're you able to get back in? I am in a very similar situation. I was discharged Sept 2018 and had a zero balance with Discover for months prior to filing. They closed the account and listed it as IIB. I called a few times and was given a speech about how they will list it as IIB regardless of a zero balance because it was open at the time of filing. That's crap.

But after reading your post I am hopeful my experience is no longer a practice and I can get someone to change it. I called around November/December last year so it's not like it was that long ago. Maybe I approached it wrong. Is there any advice you could give as to how the conversation went down?
Message 6 of 10
kiea
Frequent Contributor

That is weird. My credit reports were updated but it is still incorrect...Experian is showing the account as open with the original credit limit. Equifax is showing it as a closed account and Transunion deleted the account all together.

My reports were updated but I'm still having an issue with getting the prequalifier on their website to approve me. Every time I try it says i can't get approved because of a previous account so they haven't updated the information in their system they just updated my reports.

The first time I called I spoke to someone in the Bankruptcy department and I was told to write a letter explaining the situation. I didn't have a pen and paper then so I called back and spoke to someone in the customer service department. She told me I didn't have to write a letter and she can put in a request to update my reports. I was never told the information couldn't be updated.

What department are you calling?

January 2022
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, kiea.

Sorry to hear it isn't working exactly as you hoped but at least there was a change to your reports, albeit incorrect. This at least tells me they are willing to budge. Perhaps another discussion with them may get it corrected and you removed from the be burn list. I'm rooting for you!

I think I just called the 800 number listed on the card/statement and spoke with a CS rep. I don't have much experience with this sort of thing...still very much a noob. Perhaps I will try again. If I don't get anywhere I will ask for their bankruptcy department as you mentioned. Thanks for the update and the info. I am very much looking forward to seeing/reading your progress.
Message 8 of 10
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@kiea wrote:

Discover customer service department is okay with me.  I filed bk on 4/4/17 and when I filed I didn't include Discover in my bankruptcy because I didn't have a balance at the time but the account was closed because I filed bk.  I filed pro se, & I honestly didn't know at the time that I was supposed to include accounts without a balance when filing.  The account status is listed as IIB on my reports even though it wasn't actually included in my bk.

So last week I called Discover to ask if I was okay to reapply for a  new card since it has been almost 2 years.  The representative said yes I am & he also told me I can sent a letter asking for the IIB status to be changed to read 'account closed by creditor'.  I didn't have a pen & paper to write the address down at that time so I call back today and I spoke to a wonderful representative who submitted my request to the credit bureaus over the phone.   She said it will take up to 30 days for my credit reports to update but it will only take a week to update in their system.  

So within 30 days the account status will read 'Account closed by creditor' which will remove the negative account status from my reports & will remain in the positive status for 10 years.  I just wished I would have called sooner but I'm happy.

I'm not sure you have to include accounts with no balance in a BK filing, if there's no balance there's no debt to include in the filing. In my 2010 BK7 my attorney just pulled my credit report and included only accounts with a balance. I had 2 accounts with no balance - a Synchrony Lowes account and Bill Me Later (which became PayPal Credit). I had other Synchrony accounts with balances so when they notice of the BK filing on those they closed Lowes but only marked it "closed by credit grantor". My BML/PP Credit account actually survived my BK and I had it until I closed it a few months ago, I had no other Comenity accounts so they never found out about my BK.

Message 9 of 10
kiea
Frequent Contributor

You're welcome. I have seen a few posts on this forum from people who were able to get approved after 2 1/2 post discharge. I plan on trying again at the end of the year.

Good luck to you

January 2022
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.