cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dismissed Bankruptcy

tag
jbolds88

Dismissed Bankruptcy

In 2013 I was advised by my attorney to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy in order to halt a civil litigation my business was going through even though I didn’t really have any creditors I owed money to. A week after filling, the judge didn’t grant the stay so I cancelled the bankruptcy. It is still showing on my credit report today. Is there any way to get this off?? It is the only bad mark on my credit
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dismissed Bankruptcy

Sorry, as far as I know you cannot. It’s still a public record, so it will be in numerous databases the credit bureaus pull data from. If you look on your report it will say “dismissed”

A friend of mine paid a lawyer who claimed he could get it removed. In the end the lawyer was as successful as he would have been on his own. He managed to remove it from one report but it came back a few months later.

There should be a legit way to remove a dismissed case but bank have eroded many consumer roights in this area

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Dismissed Bankruptcy

If a bankruptcy case is improperly filed or otherwise rejected by a court, the case is referred to as dismissed. This is in contrast to the discharge that signifies the successful conclusion of a bankruptcy filing. Even if bankruptcy relief is not granted, credit agencies are required to report a filed and dismissed bankruptcy case for 10 years, just as any other bankruptcy would be reported. If a dismissed case is erroneously reported on your credit report, then you may be able to have it removed.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.