cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need a current installment loan?

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Do I really need a current installment loan?

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit scores have so many dumb caveats. After my bk, when my student loans started reporting again, my scores shot up 30-50 points because I had an installment loan reporting again.

...nevermind that more student loans started reporting incorrectly as owing the original balance from 10 years ago, even though they're paid off now, a few days later and knocked me back down 20 points on EQ... grumble grumble.

Isn't rebuilding FUN!??!?! Smiley Frustrated

I'd second the secured loan suggestion.

I remember asking BCU for a secured loan solution and they set me up with a secured credit card instead, lol.    Does NFCU have a secured loan option by any chance?

Yes NFCU has secured loans, but as I don't qualify for them, don't know the terms.  FICO scoring lists as one of the qualifers for a good score some type of installment loan.  I've been turned down before because of not having a mortgage when my house is paid for.  Plan to try to get a mortgage next year, and then it will report the balance on the installment loan is too high, just like it does for my car.  Just remember-we have to play with the cards (no pun intended) that we are dealt when it comes to credit. 

Is that why I read posts of people applying for a card or two before they get a mortgage?  Are you unable to qualify for another credit card afterwards for a long time or something?

I would never apply for a card or two prior to a mortgage, unless it was more than six months prior to a mortgage. When going through UW for a mortgage you don't want your score to change for ANY reason, so you do nothing that could possibly cause a score change. A lot of people seem to go on an app spree after the mortgage is funded Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 11 of 16
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Scupra wrote:

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit scores have so many dumb caveats. After my bk, when my student loans started reporting again, my scores shot up 30-50 points because I had an installment loan reporting again.

...nevermind that more student loans started reporting incorrectly as owing the original balance from 10 years ago, even though they're paid off now, a few days later and knocked me back down 20 points on EQ... grumble grumble.

I remember asking BCU for a secured loan solution and they set me up with a secured credit card instead, lol.    Does NFCU have a secured loan option by any chance?

Yes NFCU has secured loans, but as I don't qualify for them, don't know the terms.  FICO scoring lists as one of the qualifers for a good score some type of installment loan.  I've been turned down before because of not having a mortgage when my house is paid for.  Plan to try to get a mortgage next year, and then it will report the balance on the installment loan is too high, just like it does for my car.  Just remember-we have to play with the cards (no pun intended) that we are dealt when it comes to credit. 

Is that why I read posts of people applying for a card or two before they get a mortgage?  Are you unable to qualify for another credit card afterwards for a long time or something?

I would never apply for a card or two prior to a mortgage, unless it was more than six months prior to a mortgage. When going through UW for a mortgage you don't want your score to change for ANY reason, so you do nothing that could possibly cause a score change. A lot of people seem to go on an app spree after the mortgage is funded Smiley Happy

Oh my fault, it's after not before.. that was funny, I knew it'd look bad if UW saw a bunch of credit-shopping before a mortgage.  Just testing you all, hahaha.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 16
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Taoron wrote:

@Scupra wrote:

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh my fault, it's after not before.. that was funny, I knew it'd look bad if UW saw a bunch of credit-shopping before a mortgage.  Just testing you all, hahaha.  Smiley Very Happy

Kinda figured Smiley Very Happy Haha!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was sad when I discovered BCU didn't have a secured loan. (I wanted to do one in the event my student loans didn't start reporting again.) I'm not sure if NFCU does them (sure wish I could get in with them though!!) I ended up getting mine through Alliant CU. painless process and no HP for joining or opening the loan.

BCU does have deposit secured loans, here's the link:

https://www.bcu.org/Products/Loans/Other-Loans/Deposit-Secured

Message 14 of 16
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I was sad when I discovered BCU didn't have a secured loan. (I wanted to do one in the event my student loans didn't start reporting again.) I'm not sure if NFCU does them (sure wish I could get in with them though!!) I ended up getting mine through Alliant CU. painless process and no HP for joining or opening the loan.

I remember asking for that when I opened my account in 2014, and the person I spoke to basically turn me away from that and pointed me towards a secured visa account. 

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Taoron wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I remember asking for that when I opened my account in 2014, and the person I spoke to basically turn me away from that and pointed me towards a secured visa account. 

I agree, some of their CSR's are not knowledgeable. However BCU website has improved, it's pretty decent now and a lot of info can be found there.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.