cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does FICO score supersede BK when it comes to CC?

tag
amv8

Does FICO score supersede BK when it comes to CC?

Hi just curious to know if FICO score would supersede a BK when it comes to deciding factor to approve for a CC? Due to an huge investment that did not work out for me I had to file BK in late 2012 and it was dicharged in May 2013. Previous to that I never had one late payment since I turned 18 in 1998 and the main reason I had to file BK was that I personally gauaranteed loans for the business that I could not repay. Even then to this date I've not been late on my mortgage or car payments. my AMEX plat, Discover, and Citi Diamond were all included in the BK and closed out on me. To my surprise my credit score has been increasing at a pretty good rate. I have indentiy guard and when I first signed up in Feb 2014 my three scores were eq-600, exp-665, tu-596. This was almost a year after discharge. Now as of 6/23 my scores are eq-667, exp-695, and tu-682. Hopefully by years end I can get this to over 700. I recently opened up a Barclays Rewards and Cap One quicksilver one. Also am an authorized user for my wifes chase sapphire preferred. I know I will never get an AMEX ever again from what I hear but when can I expect to be able to apply for premium cards again without the BK being an issue? I've read a lot on here and this site has been very helpful in helping me get through something I've never been through before. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Does FICO score supersede BK when it comes to CC?

I would say no - the BK is there are a digital "scarlet letter" for several years.

I got declined for the sole reason of having a BK on file - despite having a somewhat decent score - so, be prepared.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 3
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Does FICO score supersede BK when it comes to CC?

The BK will hold you back as long as it's on your report.

It doesn't mean you can't get credit... but it's going to be used against you regardless.  I'm expecting 700's by the end of the year but still won't be applying anywhere... I've got my profile where I want it to be... now I'm just waiting till 4/2016 for the BK to fall off my report.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.