cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

? Does the 7 yr rule apply to accounts listed in the BK?

tag
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

? Does the 7 yr rule apply to accounts listed in the BK?

Or do they stay on for the full 10 years?

I'm wondering because I have two accounts that should be off now (they are like DOFD 1999, 2000), while these are my oldest accounts, I'd risk taking the FICO hit and getting them off if they are supposed to be gone rather than letting them sit here and show a derog and report +120 days late.

Thanks

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ? Does the 7 yr rule apply to accounts listed in the BK?

@HindSight_20_20 wrote:

Or do they stay on for the full 10 years?

I'm wondering because I have two accounts that should be off now (they are like DOFD 1999, 2000), while these are my oldest accounts, I'd risk taking the FICO hit and getting them off if they are supposed to be gone rather than letting them sit here and show a derog and report +120 days late.

Thanks

Accounts included in bankruptcy will remain 7 years from the date they were reported as included in the bankruptcy.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had some of my TL's IIB fall off for expiration on the 7 yr anniversary of DOFD

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU shows a date items will be removed. I've had one on my report  that said 6/2010. It was gone this morning. So far TU's date of removal seems to be pretty accurate as this is the 2nd one that has disappeared when they said it would. The ones that disappeared had DOFD's in 2003 and they were IIB. My BK was filed in 2005 and discharged in Jan. 2006. YMMV

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The delinquencies from before the BK will report for 7 years, and then age off.  The accounts will continue to report for (hopefully the full) ten years.

That means that your previously negative account will report as a positive account for approximately 3 years (give or take) and continue to positively affect your AAofA during that time.  If you're really lucky, the accounts will report longer than the 10 years! 

Just make sure those derogatory lates age off properly (mine all have - just had my last two age off last month).  Now those accounts are helping my CR and my FICO score.

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The delinquencies from before the BK will report for 7 years, and then age off.  The accounts will continue to report for (hopefully the full) ten years.

That means that your previously negative account will report as a positive account for approximately 3 years (give or take) and continue to positively affect your AAofA during that time.  If you're really lucky, the accounts will report longer than the 10 years! 

Just make sure those derogatory lates age off properly (mine all have - just had my last two age off last month).  Now those accounts are helping my CR and my FICO score.

Good point!!!

Message 6 of 7
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Thank you!!

I'll check my CCR's to see what's going on then with the derogs from 'before' the BK.

Great responses thank you all so much!

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.