Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Stages of Filing Chapter 7

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Early Stages of Filing Chapter 7

Hi everyone! So, I'm in the process of trying to save for my lawyers fee for bankruptcy. My main concern is that my husband was served with court papers from Disco. They want to garnish wages I assume. Now, I probably won't have the fee paid before the court date which is the first part of January. Is there anything I can do to stall this out? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Early Stages of Filing Chapter 7

First - Deep breath.

Second - What EXACTLY was your husband served with? Going from judgement to garnishment is not a quick process. 

Message 2 of 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Well all I know is this is the first court hearing we have been summoned to. I'm not sure how all that works!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:

Hi everyone! So, I'm in the process of trying to save for my lawyers fee for bankruptcy. My main concern is that my husband was served with court papers from Disco. They want to garnish wages I assume. Now, I probably won't have the fee paid before the court date which is the first part of January. Is there anything I can do to stall this out? 

Some lawyers offer installment plan for their fee. Usually you have to pay half up front. 

Message 4 of 6
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

Talk to your attorney if you have one. They will know what to do.

Siggy updated Feb 16 2023
Chapter 7 BK discharge: 12/19/22
Inquiries: 6/6mo 7/12mo 7/24mo – Latest inquiry: NFCU - Approved 01/23
Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 5 of 6
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Aduke1122 wrote:

If the court date is after the filing date, that court date will be cancelled. Filing bankruptcy puts an automatic stay on nearly all legal means of collecting any debts, including lawsuits, with only a few exceptions. The exceptions I believe include fraud, child support, and judgements based on willful acts...there might be a few more, perhaps IRS garnishment. Discover certainly is not exempt, so I doubt seriously that since he was just served, it is a problem. I am assuming you and he are filing bankruptcy together, but if only you are filing, then he will not get the benefit of the automatic stay.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.