Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex-Wife co-account owner

tag
mnmlsky
Established Member

Ex-Wife co-account owner

Hello everyone and thank you in advance

So I just got done with the 341 hearing. No issues and I assume from the attorney's instrucitons that if no creditor has any issues, all debts ar discharged in 60 days. 

Here is my question. My ex-wife (who is currently residing in another country since 2019 and might come back in the Summer of 2021) was a full account owner on one of the credit cards. She was an AU on all the other cards and I thought she was also an AU on this card as well, but she is not. She is a full owner. What will happen when this particular CC debt is discharged? Are they for sure going after her?

I am on good terms with my ex and I told her that she if they do go after her, I advised her to either file for Ch.7 as I did or repay the debt at a negotiated price\rate with the current owner of the debt (I assume it's no longer the bank). And since some of the debt there was mine, I will help her repay it. I know I don't have to, but that's something I am willing to do. I am just trying to understand if they are going after her and how to find out if they are? What steps would you recommend I take at this point?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Re: Ex-Wife co-account owner

Yes, it is possible they could go after her since she's an actual account owner.  Personally, I might consider calling the bank and letting them know she's out of the country...living in another country. This might deter them from attempting to collect since you filed BK and I don't see them going after someone in a different country. Again, as with all things credit and debt related, YMMV.

Best of luck!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.