cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with student loans on Chapter 7?

tag
hashtag
Valued Member

Experience with student loans on Chapter 7?

Hello all,

I am very well aware that in almost all cases, student loans cannot be wiped out in Chapter 7. I checked my Credit Karma account this morning and on the Equifax report it showed my Navient account as closed with Chapter 7 as remarks. It also showed Deferred in remarks. 

How can it be deferred if the account is closed? Want to know if anyone had similar expereinces and if the student loan balance was truly discharged? I did try to go to Navient's website, however they are offline this weekend due to online maintenence. 

C7 Filed: 5/17/19
341: 7/1/19
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Experience with student loans on Chapter 7?

I don't have Navient, but I have FLS, and when I filed, they closed the account because we tried to IIB it, which ended up being taking out, but same thing happened. Once the BK is DC, everything will go back to normal (or at least it should). It took about 40 days after DC , but my school loans reported correctly again.
Message 2 of 4
hashtag
Valued Member

Ah, so I shouldnt get my hopes up is what you are saying lol!

C7 Filed: 5/17/19
341: 7/1/19
Message 3 of 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@hashtag wrote:

Ah, so I shouldnt get my hopes up is what you are saying lol!

LOL, yes. SL's are very hard to DC in a BK. Your attorney has to prove to the trustee and judge presiding that it would serve undue hardship to you and/or your family to continue to have to pay for them after a DC. Sorry 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.