cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling like there is no way to get out of debt.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feeling like there is no way to get out of debt.

Hey guys, so I posted once before. I haven't really been on the site-I'm just trying to stay focused.

But today I received a letter from NASA FCU stating that my account went 30 days past due (I know it did not,I scheduled the payment on the 29th day).

So my CR's are going to be hit with a 30 day late.

Additionally, I recieved a few letters from collection agencies for a medical bill, a 1000.00 Verizon bill, and a traffic violation.

I'm just starting to feel like there is no way to get my finances in order without filing bankruptcy. I am working sometimes 60 hours a week to make more than the minimum payment.

Once school starts I will have to only work weekends.

Any advice would help.

My fear is that I won't be able to keep up with all of the payments, having my NASA FCU card report a 30 day will is messing wit my motivation.

Thank you all!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Feeling like there is no way to get out of debt.

I would contact NASA and see what is going on. Further in regards to the traffic ticket please google search or see the article below you may be able to get that deleted. Others may chime in and tell you a bit more about the pay for delete process or dispute process, I know there is a specific way to go about medical collections but we arent allowed to discuss it here.

https://www.thenewspaper.com/news/49/4987.asp

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your input. I contacted NASA via telephone and email they are insisting it was after the cut off time, at first they were trying to say that "pending payments" are not counted until they are "posted"-which I know is not true.

I have been making payments to NASA FCU for 2.5 years now, I know that when a payment is "pending" it is effective as of that date
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try searching online for the CEO of NASA FCU email address send an email explaining you situation. If the auto pay processed it should show on your statement or online account when it was made.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to call again tomorrow and ask to speak to a supervisor, and take that route if needed.

This is just so frustrating because it is messing with my debt paydown motivation.
Message 5 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Based on your post, it doesn't sound like you have a debt problem. It sounds like one of two other problems: income problem or organizational (budget) problem. Neither income nor budget problems can be solved by filing bankruptcy.

Have you put together a buget?  Paying 29 days late every month is playing with fire.  

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly I think it comes down to both my budget and income. My income is barely keeping up with paying more than the minimum amount due (as I said in the past for the most part I try to pay the "3 year recommended statement payment" (where the statements give you the minimum payment warning)

Now I do have a question?

Both of my navy federal credit cards (that are closed) have a 5k balance (so a total of 10k in credit card debt owed to NAVY)

I have the option of having a parent take a "plus student loan" if I went this route it would the plus loan would generate an approxamite 6,000 refund a semester, so 12,000 total.

My question is... would it be a smart or a foolish move to pay off my two navy federal credit cards with the plus loan, and also apply the remainder of the refund to another credit card (probably my discover card)

The last thing I want to do is put my mom at jeapordy in case I ever deafualted post graduation.

What do you guys think?
Message 7 of 13
camniamom
Established Member

In my opinion taking the parent plus loan is not a wise decision. You are creating a bill for your mom and it will accrue interest. Also, it's not solving the problem of your income or your budget. You should really focus on that.

If your mom does take the parent plus loan for you and you are due a refund, why not apply it back to the loan to reduce the principal and the interest that is accruing?

Starting scores: EX: 498 TU: 514 EQ: 521
Message 8 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Budget and income problems are much easier to solve. Plus the skills you need to solve each of these (budget and income) are used throughout your lifetime as your income and budget changes.  To change your income - pick up a second job, even part time and it will greatly help. Try Uber or Lyft or something else.  I know you are in school but one of the critical skills is learning self reliance. Borrowing additional funds under the Parent Plus loan is not a good idea. You are shifting the responsiblity over to your Mom rather than fixing the debt issue now while it is smaller and easier to handle. Throwing the debt into a student loan is the worst thing to do because now the debt is not dischargeable - which closes off or more accurately, reduces the effectiveness of the Bk option for you if you need it in the future. 

Try YNAB to set up a budget.

If you aren't making enough income you only have two options: reduce your expenses and/or increase your income. Once you set up your budget, come back here and let us help you.  I still think you can do this without filing Bk - and without borrowing more money. 

Keep in mind:  You can not borrow your way out of debt.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the wonderful advice. I most definitely will not be borrowing any money from the plus loan for my personal bills (as a means of a consolidation).

Also currently UBER is my only source of income, I am ineligible to drive for LYFT due to a speeding ticket-maybe I will try something like doordash?

Currently I am 1 month behind on my car lease, one month behind on my NASA credit card, and 1 month behind in my consolidation loan with NAVY..note**** I always pay before 30 days.

I was thinking I should maybe request a skip payment on my NASA FCU and car lease to bring me current after these payments.

...and then prepare the budget...? What do you guys think?

Again thank you for all the advice.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.