cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed Chap 7/All Midland and Portfolio Accounts are Gone From My CR?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed Chap 7/All Midland and Portfolio Accounts are Gone From My CR?!

Well, as my title says: I filed for Chap 7 5/31 and my 341 meeting is on 7/8. Received an alert that my credit score increased. All of the Midland Funding and Portfolio Recovery accounts are gone. Is that normal? Am I going to get an unpleasant surprise in the future? Is this an unexpected gift from the credit gods? Should I burn sage/say a rosary/sprinkle salt?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jmclaughlin1982
Established Member

Re: Filed Chap 7/All Midland and Portfolio Accounts are Gone From My CR?!

As soon as you file bankruptcy the credit reporting agencies will usually update your file. This update causes the companies to have to reaffirm that the debt is legitimate. From my experience they just don't bother to respond and the agencies delete the file. No worries about the future as long as they were included in that filing. Odds are they didnt update the agency and your file is gone. Mine was deleted with Equifax about a month after I filed. Had both Midland and Portfolio on mine as well.
Good luck with the 341, mine took 5 minutes with the trustee, although I was there for like an hour with a full room of other filers. Congrats on a new start!
BK7 filed 3/23/2016 DC 6/20/2016

Current Credit
Ally Auto-$17000| Credit Builder Loan-$1000| Secured Loan-$1000| Cap 1 Secured-$400| Kohl's-$300| Milestone-$300| Gettington/Webbank-$500

AU- Chase Freedom-$500| Cap 1 QS-$500| Amex-$2000| Walmart-$910| Target Card-$300| Kohl's-$300| Credit 1-$300
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! I was happy to see the nice point jump but so worried that they would reappear at a later date...I had heard that Midland and Portfolio are so very difficult to work with even post-discharge.

It's been a while since I've had any good news. I'm beginning to feel much more hopeful!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I collected for Midland and Portfolio for a 3rd party collection attorney. They are HORRIBLE. They will sell and re sell your debt. So if you get something in the futre from a collection agency, don't ignore it, request itemizations in writing and verbally from the collection agency and have your banko docs readily available to fight them.

Message 4 of 8
jmclaughlin1982
Established Member

Bump Harleygirl's comment. If you get anything make sure to have BK documents ready to mail out on a moments notice. Law says that as soon as you file they are legally barred from attempting to collect that debt.
I've read stories of awards in the hundreds of thousands for attempted collections and lawsuits after discharge. Be informed, prepared, and diligent I say.
BK7 filed 3/23/2016 DC 6/20/2016

Current Credit
Ally Auto-$17000| Credit Builder Loan-$1000| Secured Loan-$1000| Cap 1 Secured-$400| Kohl's-$300| Milestone-$300| Gettington/Webbank-$500

AU- Chase Freedom-$500| Cap 1 QS-$500| Amex-$2000| Walmart-$910| Target Card-$300| Kohl's-$300| Credit 1-$300
Message 5 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, as my title says: I filed for Chap 7 5/31 and my 341 meeting is on 7/8. Received an alert that my credit score increased. All of the Midland Funding and Portfolio Recovery accounts are gone. Is that normal? Am I going to get an unpleasant surprise in the future? Is this an unexpected gift from the credit gods? Should I burn sage/say a rosary/sprinkle salt?

You will also need to do the FICO dance and chant while throwing an old credit card into the fire as a sacrifice Smiley Very Happy jkjk that's awesome that they went away!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm LOLing over here picturing my old-enough-to-know-better self building a bonfire, selecting an expired credit card from a grimoire and waving it over a candle before beginning the celebratory chant to the FICO gods. 😂

Thank you all for your wise counsel. I'm still struggling with the residual guilt of circumstances placing me in a position that I could not meet my financial obligations...I know I'll get over it but heretofore I've been a responsible consumer and the idea of walking away from debt feels, well, shameful still. So to see 6 collections accounts disappear, I'm kinda concerned that Citibank is going to send some guys lol.

I already placed a copy of my BK papers in a safe, accessible place and will add the discharge when it's received. And because I am a nerd, I'll retain an encrypted file with a soft copy as well. Again, many, many for the kind, gracious welcome. I hope I will be able to pay it forward.
Message 7 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

It sounds bad but I think it's good you feel that way. It helps us humans learn from our mistakes when we can actually admit we made a mistake. When this is over you will feel like a major weight has been lifted from your shoulders. You will answer every phone call, open every piece of mail and sleep better at night. It's better for your well being and the others around you. You're in the right spot to start building a robust, healthy credit profile Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.