cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed Today!

Filed Today!

Well, my husband and I took the plunge and filed our Chapter 7 today. I feel a little embarrassed to have ended up in this situation, but also relieved that we can get a fresh start and make better business and personal financial decisions. My credit has really taken a hit in the last month because we had to wait to file to gather the attorney fees, hopefully the rebuild process won't be too daunting.... 

And if anyone in the Portland, OR area needs a great and affordable attorney give me a shout! 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Filed Today!

Congrats. It feels strange for a short while. But life throws curve balls or we make mistakes. Everyone deserves a second chance. The best is yet to come. The DC. And then the rebuild. It will fly by fast and will become a distant memory.

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC.
Message 2 of 6
Regular Contributor

Welcome to the club.
Message 3 of 6
Regular Contributor

It is embarrassing. But in life you gotta do what you gotta do.
I learned when I told my family I filed, I got zero judgement from them because they knew my situation was really bad and were surprised I didn’t file sooner.
I just had my 341 meeting so the worst of it is over.
Just make sure bankruptcy is a once in a lifetime thing so you don’t ever have to do it again.
Of course, there are things we can’t control and you gotta do what you gotta do but if it was because of irresponsibility (like mine was) don’t allow yourself to get back to that place again.
Message 4 of 6

Best of luck through your case! If it's anything like ours, it was fairly painless, and has been a learning experience.

Message 5 of 6
Frequent Contributor

We have our free consult on 2/18. I’m looking forward to the collection calls stopping. AmEx filed suit on 1/30/19 and that was the final thing to push towards chapter 7. Things beyond our control happened and some bad choices made. Looking forward to being able to breathe again. 

AmEx Platinum, AmEx Premiere Rewards Gold, USAA AmEx $14k, USAA World Class MasterCard $13k, AmEx Everyday $10k, Lowe's $10k, Citi Simplicity $9800, Sam's Club MC $8k,Chase Freedom $4.5k, Amazon $5,000 Barclays Visa with Apple Rewards $5000, Wells Fargo Platinum $1750k, Capitol One Quick Silver $5750k, Home Depot $5k, BP Visa $1500, TU 606, EQ 587, EX 607. Gardening since Dec 2015
Message 6 of 6