cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed pro se, completed 341, now the waiting game and what i've learned ..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed pro se, completed 341, now the waiting game and what i've learned ..

I know there are plenty of these kinds of posts on here but I felt like I should post as well since I found these boards oh so helpful during this process and perhaps what I have to share may help someone else out - I know just reading posts of some others helped me calm down a bit! 

I filed Chapter 7 at the end of September, no asset and pro se. Went and bought a Nolo How to for Chapter 7 to help me file and complete the paperwork. After meeting with a couple BK lawyers in the area I decided I was going to try Pro Se since I have no real assets (Of course aside from exempt items or secured items) and didn't see the need to shell out the money for the lawyer. 

I had my 341 last week. Was there about two hours. I had to sit through a couple of the earlier times cases as well as two corporate ones since they were behind, This was nerve racking the entire time I was sitting in this room. As we started on the cases for my time slot, there were a few other pro se debtors as well, three of which were before me. One of them apparently never got the memo of needing original ID documents, Others ended up with a continuance for failue to provide documents. I got to mine and it was a 4-5 minute questioning, asking how I prepared the documents on my own without help (I mentioned the book and he had a good laugh saying it is 'putting you lawyers out of business') as well as the usual questions. I was the first pro se of the set to have my meeting concluded. 

This afternoon I noticed an entry of the 341 being held and concluded as well as his report of no distribution. Now all that's left is to wait it out for the discharge! I am happy I filed on my own and was successful although it was stressful, even more so I would assume than those with lawyers. The book was helpful for a couple items although much of the information is available online and it just takes a lot of reading and research. Also be sure to check your local courts website for any local forms that may apply. 

Anyone that is considering filing on your own - It's not the easiest but it can be done. Remember to provide anything your trustee asks for when he or she asks for it the first time and it will be much easier on you, I watched the people before me get scrutinized for not providing half or any of their requested items. Also as anyone here will say, don't try to get fancy or hide anything or in the end you'll end up with even more headaches and cash spent if you had hired legal help in the first place. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Filed pro se, completed 341, now the waiting game and what i've learned ..

Congrats, Steve, on your successful pro se bk filing!  My husband filed pro se in July, 2014, and I'm actually the one that completed the paperwork.  I, too, checked out Nolo's website, and other sites online.  

We both went to the 341 meeting, and my husband was asked by the trustee if anyone had helped him with his filing.  His response "Yes, my wife".  He was then asked if I was a lawyer (no way), and when he told her no, she nodded her head in approval.  We were there just about two hours, and we were shocked at a couple of lawyers who did not have their client's paperwork completed correctly.  One lawyer let his client come without his proper ID (Soc. Sec. card was missing), which ended up in a continuance. There was a young man who filed pro se who's case was before my husbands, and he did a fairly good job representing himself.  He had one sheet missing that wasn't part of the bk packet, and didn't know that he needed to print it off of the Michigan BK website. 

So in the end, it's not too difficult filing pro se.  You have to read, research, read, and then, read some more.  And, yes, most importantly, be honest about everything. Trustees are very sharp, and can tell when something doesn't add up.  

The next 60 or so days will go by quickly.  Again, great post and good luck in your rebuild.  I'm sure that you've got some good plans already!

Message 2 of 5
teddingt
Regular Contributor

My trustee never asked a single question concerning my financials.   I spent 10 minutes being grilled on who helped me file the paperwork out.  

re bk
EQ 572 TU 540 EXP 545
Current
EQ 598 TU 556 EXP 557
Discharge

Message 3 of 5
holmesnmanny
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know there are plenty of these kinds of posts on here but I felt like I should post as well since I found these boards oh so helpful during this process and perhaps what I have to share may help someone else out - I know just reading posts of some others helped me calm down a bit! 

I filed Chapter 7 at the end of September, no asset and pro se. Went and bought a Nolo How to for Chapter 7 to help me file and complete the paperwork. After meeting with a couple BK lawyers in the area I decided I was going to try Pro Se since I have no real assets (Of course aside from exempt items or secured items) and didn't see the need to shell out the money for the lawyer. 

I had my 341 last week. Was there about two hours. I had to sit through a couple of the earlier times cases as well as two corporate ones since they were behind, This was nerve racking the entire time I was sitting in this room. As we started on the cases for my time slot, there were a few other pro se debtors as well, three of which were before me. One of them apparently never got the memo of needing original ID documents, Others ended up with a continuance for failue to provide documents. I got to mine and it was a 4-5 minute questioning, asking how I prepared the documents on my own without help (I mentioned the book and he had a good laugh saying it is 'putting you lawyers out of business') as well as the usual questions. I was the first pro se of the set to have my meeting concluded. 

This afternoon I noticed an entry of the 341 being held and concluded as well as his report of no distribution. Now all that's left is to wait it out for the discharge! I am happy I filed on my own and was successful although it was stressful, even more so I would assume than those with lawyers. The book was helpful for a couple items although much of the information is available online and it just takes a lot of reading and research. Also be sure to check your local courts website for any local forms that may apply. 

Anyone that is considering filing on your own - It's not the easiest but it can be done. Remember to provide anything your trustee asks for when he or she asks for it the first time and it will be much easier on you, I watched the people before me get scrutinized for not providing half or any of their requested items. Also as anyone here will say, don't try to get fancy or hide anything or in the end you'll end up with even more headaches and cash spent if you had hired legal help in the first place. 

Ya, while waiting you get nervous.  But afterwards you feel good because you did it on your own. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@teddingt wrote:

My trustee never asked a single question concerning my financials.   I spent 10 minutes being grilled on who helped me file the paperwork out.  

Yeah he spent a couple minutes with another person there on that as well. They are really trying to crack down on the petition preparers/websites that are giving out legal advice or charging more than allowed. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.