Filing Chapter 7 ! (Feelings of Relief already) -Update 01/08/2020

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filing Chapter 7 ! (Feelings of Relief already) -Update 01/08/2020

Hey guys,

See Below for updates ....

Original Post

Soooooooo after advice on this forum I sat , Iv'e decided to go ahead and file Chapter 7 in November! Now filing in Febuary After reading here over the last week and then consulting with a lawyer yesterday. We spoke for about an hour, he was very knowledgeable and I explained to him that I read ALOT of these forums. He advised that was my best option making 38k with 73k+ in debt, and reassured me theres life after bankruptcy. He instructed me on some of the normal things lots of members are told (stop paying debt and save, catch up on necessities and still purchase my usual essentials).  I told him I have conflicted myself with questions like  "do I pay my car insurance or get groceries?" or "Will I have enough money to get gas for work?" just based on trying to stay current, having a prior garnishment to make up for as well. 

I plan to use this post for updates on my Chp 7 journey, so far the plan is to:

- Will be filing though legal plan at work ! $500 for court cost and filing.

-Catch up car payment Capital 1 Auto ($770) and retain and pay when I file (Car worth $10,000-$11,000/ Balance in 11/19 should be @ $13,065 with high interest) Decided to give up the car during bankruptcy still have it Currently

-Have to file my 2018 taxes Done 11/2019

- August -January Paystubs

- November - January Bank Statements

- Switched back to NFCU and closed secured card with them

-Pay back $200 to my brother (Lawyer Ok'd since not over $600) Done. Updated 09/09/19

I'll keep you guys posted & thanks for being so helpful and supportive ! 

Updated 01/08/2020

HAPPY 2020 FRIENDS ! Smiley Happy 

I have updates, I will now be filing through my legal plan at work so don't have to shell out $2,050 thank goodness ! Consultation is tomorrow, I've printed my bank statements and paystubs. I plan to gather all the old collections papers I can find tonight. Doing the math I'm at $83,967.94 in debt right now, most will be discharged except taxes and 28K of student loans. I'm sooooooo ready to do it and be done. 

UPDATE  03/11/2020

Officially have all my steps done, counseling and all and FINALLY dropping everything remaining at my lawyer tomorrow morning. Her assistant is saying it should take her about 24 hours to get everything entered .....Filing by Monday hopefully ! 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Filing Chapter 7 ! (Feelings of Relief already)

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you... I met with my lawyer and I plan to save up $1950 and file in December. Im going to focus on saving and just paying for my necessities. I stoped using and paying the cards as my lawyer suggested and just use that money to save up.  I changed bank accounts and currently using chase and ally online account. I'm buring boa , navy fed, citi, discover, security service.. about 70k in credit card debt and i make 52k. I do live in Texas and own my home and my car is paid for.. Im doing this for me and I don't feel bad for the cc companies. They prey on people.  Cheers to new beginings! 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im burning Cap 1, US Bank, FNBO, NFCU, Comenity and local FCU from an old car. But I've done all I could. You make a good point that my lawyer also made, these companies file BK all the time and no one bats an eye. It's a constitutional right to have this relief. Im in Nebraska no looking to buy a home just yet I know it will be possible later ! 

Yes Cheers my friend  best of luck to you ! Ill keep this post updated as I go ! 

Message 3 of 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are so correct with these big companies filing bk and nobody cares. My lawyer pretty much said the same thing. He also said I’m backed in a corner and it’s time for me to push back. I paid $1450 for my lawyer and that’s all inclusive. That’s the retainer, filing fee, and costs for the online courses. So far everything has been done online or through email. I’m in Nebraska too, go Huskers!
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

GBR !!!!!

My lawyer was telling me he can recommend a few cheaper lawyers with lower retainers but he made me totally comfortable. I don't mind paying a bit extra I guess in this case lol beats paying $73k+ . Did you do your MOC yet ? Im so anxious to file and get it over with lol gonna save as much as I can and get er done ! 

Good luck to you ! 

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

just realized i just replied to another of your posts about an hour ago too lol 

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s definitely who you are most comfortable with when it comes to lawyers. I haven’t done MOC yet. Just filing today....maybe. I am waiting on the schedules from my lawyer to double check then they are filing. Figured I would have had them by now.

Yeah, I clicked your profile and read some of your other posts. I had to respond again since you said you are in Nebraska haha
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohhhh yea, im in Omaha so trying to find a good credit union to switch to and then just saving to file. The anticipation is killing me lol Sticking to my budget ill be filing in mid November. I just keep thinking .......... it might be snowing by then Smiley Sad lol driving to court house downtown ........in the snow ............ not ready for it lol 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah yikes! Driving in Omaha sucks anyway haha. I’m in GI. They were saying out MOC may be at a local hotel? Weird.

There are two credit unions here. One that is kind of ghetto and another that I burned (Centris) so I may not be going the credit union route.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.