cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing bankruptcy, husband started new job and he will need a corporate business cc for travel.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filing bankruptcy, husband started new job and he will need a corporate business cc for travel.

So my husband started a new job today. FINALLY!!!  We are about to file bankruptcy. Have been living a financial nightmare for the past 2 years with him being let go from two high salary jobs.  We just paid our attorney the final fees. We should be filing in the next few weeks.  What happens credit wise when you have or try to get a company credit card?? Will his credit be checked? Will he even get it since our credit is trashed right now? How does this all fit into a bankruptcy? TIA!!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

Re: Filing bankruptcy, husband started new job and he will need a corporate business cc for travel.

Went through a similar situation this past November/December - I travel a lot for work, have a Corporate Guaranteed Amex card, did not include it in my 13 because I was not responsible but Amex cancelled it anyway and petitioned the court to include it (didn’t make sense since the bill was automatically paid in full by my employer each month and the claim they had was for the unbilled balance which would have been paid had they included it in the master account bill sent to my employer)...after some back and forth with the attorneys my attorney said it wasn’t worth fighting because it wouldn’t change what I end up paying...after all of that I contacted my employers card administrator and told them this long story, they said let’s see if Amex issues a new card if we put it through since we are the guarantor and account holder not you (though Amex probably disagrees)...I was worried as heck but the new card was overnighted to me the next day....haven’t had an issue since

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Filing bankruptcy, husband started new job and he will need a corporate business cc for travel.

@Anonymous wrote:

So my husband started a new job today. FINALLY!!!  We are about to file bankruptcy. Have been living a financial nightmare for the past 2 years with him being let go from two high salary jobs.  We just paid our attorney the final fees. We should be filing in the next few weeks.  What happens credit wise when you have or try to get a company credit card?? Will his credit be checked? Will he even get it since our credit is trashed right now? How does this all fit into a bankruptcy? TIA!!!!

Now this is from my point of view and how it has worked for me at my job.  I have a corporate card annd also filed after being on this job for a few years.  The corporate card was not incluced and does not show up on my credit report at all.  My job is technically responsible for the card however I am required to make payments on it after I am reimbursed for cetain things.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not entirely sure, but the one thing I *can* say for certain is if the new company uses Amex for their corporate card program and you're burning Amex, they will not give your husband a card.

I believe other banks are more lenient.

Message 4 of 6
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

My job will not let employees get a corporate card until the bankruptcy has been discharged for four years. I have a lot of international travel coming up so I have been using my NFCU card. I got a secured card right after bankruptcy and they unsecured it and increased the limit at 5 months so that has helped.

Your husband should check to see if his job has some policy in place. 

Message 5 of 6
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

I burned Amex in my chapter 13 and it was reissued without issue (even after Amex closed the first corp card)...I've had it for many months (and the bill is automatically paid by my employer in full each month).....my employer told me if Amex refused they'd reach out to their account executive but that wasn't needed (they said they'd push it as hard as they could but as a last resort they'd expedite expense checks and I'd have to find a way to pay the expenses myself)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.