Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got my 3rd line

tag
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Finally got my 3rd line

BK discharged 2-2020

4-2020 Got a Cap One Platinum 1000 CL, used the heck out of it, (Used the link here everyone was saying to get the QS, thanks by the way)

CL now $1500 PIF every month

5-2020

I ate  the bullet on Credit One and paid the $39 yearly

CL $500, also using the heck out of it. PIF every month (Be sure to read the fine print on this one, no grace period)

10-2020

I went back to the well,  to about the only one left that didnt get burnt in the BK

Dell

CL $4000

I reafirmed my auto loan with State Farm and have been current since before BK. (its almost paid off)

I think thats it, im done lol.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I could have done better?

Thanks again guys for all the info here.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

Re: Finally got my 3rd line

What were your scores on 4/20 and what are they now? 

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Starting Scores (06/2016):

Current Fico8 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Current Fico9 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Message 2 of 10
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Funny you mention that, I just pulled all three before I prequaled on Dell and then applied.

4/20

around 570 all three.

They were down around 520 before I reaffirmed State Farm.

10/20

Equifax 656

TU 610

Experian 638

I also didnt take any INQ hits for declines during the process, which surprised me. But I was carfull before applying.

Message 3 of 10
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Well, I thought I was done.

Got a Pre Approval from Mercury today for 3K

I hit it, and was approved for 3K

Now I can dump the Credit One before the AF hits again.

There is hope folks. Smiley Happy

Just stick to it.

Message 4 of 10
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@minimock wrote:

Well, I thought I was done.

Now I can dump the Credit One before the AF hits again.

There is hope folks. Smiley Happy

Just stick to it.

That's in my opinion a very good Lender for those seeking some sunlight from the doldrums of emerging from BK, and the 2nd card Instant Approved after my own discharge only 8 days post-DC. For me they even blew by Capital One (first approval post-dc).

Nice going and continued success establishing a fresh new credit profile as we lay down distance from BK going forward.

Thank You for sharing.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

$4000 line...  NICE

Is that Cap One Platinum a secured or unsecured card?  I can't imagine being approved for a major cc right after BK if it's unsecured.  I had to start by sending USBank $500 so they can let me use my own money, ha ha.  People talk about Cap One all the time and I don't know if they're referring to secured or not.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@minimock wrote:

I dream of the day I get a preapproval from an unsecured major card like Mercury.  Congrats!

Message 7 of 10
minimock
Frequent Contributor

There all unsecured.

They just were not burned during the BK.

I did read another post about paying or not paying before filing for BK, that might have had something to do with it.

I was current on everything right up till I filed and the attorney notice went out with 20 years of on time payments.

I dont know...Just read the first post in the thread with the dates and thats how it went for me.

All I know is that if your carfull and think everything out before you do it, know what your current and past status was, there is hope.

Credit is an emotional issue, and you have to stop and use logic and be realistic.

JUST dont make the same mistake again, ALWAYS pay in full.

DONT charge it unless you can pay for it.

I hope that makes sense, and everyones situation is different.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@minimock wrote:

I was current on everything right up till I filed and the attorney notice went out with 20 years of on time payments.

Thanks for the answer.  I have a question for you (or anyone).  I also had many years of on-time payments, not a late to be seen with my many accounts and staggering number of payments over 10 or more years. 

But now that I look at my credit reports, there are lates sprinkled in there for the month I filed for BK or shortly thereafter.  In other words, I went to the attorney around August 1 and paid everything on time until that date when of course he advised me to stop paying while the BK was underway.  Now I see lates across the board for August and September.  (this was in 2019... it was officially filed in September and took until May 2020 to be finished due to some unimportant complications and delays.)  So... is that typical - to have lates around your filing date, even if you paid on time until filing, and does that could against me in scoring or in any review by creditors?  I've tried disputing them but nothing has changed.

Message 9 of 10
minimock
Frequent Contributor

In my case my attorney filled a "Filing of a Suggestion of Bankruptcy" before actually filing and all history stopped at that point.

Im not an attorney, and really dont understand how most of it worked. He apparently did, because I escaped a lot of the nightmares I read about around here.

I can only speak to what happened to me.

Others may be able to comment on it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.