cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finished Chapter 13 with some hickups! Wanting a house!

tag
yodi2007
Contributor

Finished Chapter 13 with some hickups! Wanting a house!

After nearly 5 years, I have finished my Chapter 13 payments. I had a couple of missed/late payments that were due to the pandemic. I had several deaths in the family, 1 brother-in-law, 1 sister-in-law, 1 brother and a few cousins that took my mind off of payments (I think I had 3 that were). I paid off early when the court allowed me to pay off early! They even sent back 500 dollars that was an overpayment! I am still in dispute with ATT that I am threatening to take to small claims court as it has reached my CR. The rep from ATT says that they received the phone back and will adjust the amount owed from 1900 to 1100, but i haven't received confirmation from them yet so I can pay. I have my CC's DTI below 30% and my highest CR score is 650 and my lowest is 621. I have also adopted a child and have custody of my other grandson since being in ch13. I need a bigger house as the one I am in is too small. I have about 20k saved up and will receive maybe around 7-10k  tax refund. I am also working more overtime as a nurse and can bring in around 3-4k every 2 weeks and save around half of that in savings. Without OT I am making around 78k/year. I purchased a car cash for my wife (since we adopted and she neeeded it) and have the ch13 one that still runs good for me. I owe nothing else in terms of payments besides my utilities and my student loans that are still in deferment as I am in school for Nurse Practioner (earned a full ride scholarship). By time everything is done I may have around 40k in savings. I am also a Veteran and never purchased a home before, so I will be a first time buyer.

I just want to know what are my options to purchase a home after chapter 13? I will recieve my discharge letter in January the trustee and my lawyer said. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Finished Chapter 13 with some hickups! Wanting a house!

Congrats on the DC and saving up to get your home. There is no waiting period to qualify for VA Loans after the discharge of Chapter 13 under VA Loan Eligibility Requirements. The best chance of getting Automated Underwriting System Approval is having at least a 580 credit score. Under VA Loan Eligibility Requirements After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, all VA Loans without 2-year seasoning after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge are manual underwriting. There are no caps on debt to income ratio on VA Loans under VA Loan Eligibility Requirements After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
yodi2007
Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Congrats on the DC and saving up to get your home. There is no waiting period to qualify for VA Loans after the discharge of Chapter 13 under VA Loan Eligibility Requirements. The best chance of getting Automated Underwriting System Approval is having at least a 580 credit score. Under VA Loan Eligibility Requirements After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, all VA Loans without 2-year seasoning after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy discharge are manual underwriting. There are no caps on debt to income ratio on VA Loans under VA Loan Eligibility Requirements After Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! Me and the wife are looking for a home as soon as Feb 22 and have talked to a few brokers and agents to get ahead of the game. Because we kinda figured out that a conventional loan would be out of the question! Va is our only route!

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.