Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding Creditor Calls to Lawyer

tag
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Forwarding Creditor Calls to Lawyer

Thinking once the paper work is filled I'd answer the phone and give the creditior my lawyers number.  Anyone do this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Forwarding Creditor Calls to Lawyer

Once it is officially filed and they get notice the calls will stop. You can tell them to call your lawyer but creditors/collectors really don't care or listen.  Once they get official notice it will stop.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

I see.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm with Jnbmom, mine stopped after filing. I didnt answer unless I knew who it was before I filed. I'd google the numbers and block them if it said collections call in forums or the business was a debt collector. After I filed I unblocked everything and haven't had one call. I can now answer unknown calls again!! Yaay

I did get one email from a bank saying my statement was ready. I emailed them saying I filed bk and received an email and they replied and said they'd take care of it.
Message 4 of 7
nomadic_traveler
Regular Contributor

Most of the debt collectors seemed to have for the most part given up.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You NEED to start answering the calls.  Your attorney will send notice to those creditors listed on your CRs.  The accounts that have been sold to other creditors or debt collectors will not know.  You need to answer the phone and give them the details.  If you dont, they will continue to try and collect on you, INCLUDING putting collection accounts on your credit reports.  You need to stop that action before it happens.  They are a huge pain in the ass to get off, and likely are correct and wont be removed.  If you can head that action off at the pass, then they will never appear at all.  If you ignore the calls, they will basically have free reign on your reports.  And they can continue collection efforts until they are notified in writing by the courts.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, I didnt think about that. I am a pack rat for paperwork so I had all the letters from all collections attempts so my attorney used those addresses as well to send notice. So, no more calls for me.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.