Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a car post Chapter 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a car post Chapter 7

My husband and I filed chapter 7 after many months of deliberation pro se on October 5, 2018. We had our 341 hearing on November 14, but it was adjourned until the 28th due to they never reviewed our bank statements, pay stubs, and tax returns in time. On November 30 no distribution-no funds were reported. Right now our credit scores are in the mid 500s and because we have jobs in opposite cities, we will need to get a car fresh after it's over. Besides Carvana, are there any other places that we can get approved from without having our credit ran a million times? Unfortunately we have kids so trying to save money for a car is out of the question as we also need to find a new place as well once this is over. We don't want a high interest rate but will suck it up and pay if we needed to because we can't afford to wait months down the line. We also have Langley Federal credit Union. I see there are plenty of posts about NFCU but nothing about whether Langley will possibly approve us. Our last day for objections is January 13. Also, who is good at no money down if possible.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a car post Chapter 7

Try....Capital one and local credit unions.

Also, some of the major lots in my area have a way to help people who filed BK. Call around to name brand lots and ask to talk to their finance person.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Carvana called me today and said that I can fax the confirmation that my 341 is done but I don't want to purchase until it's discharged because I don't want to risk it getting dismissed. My minimum payment there is 300 down so im hoping that is pretty accurate. I seen some Impalas on there I want to purchase if that quote is true. Hopefully my rate drops after I do the pre qualification again because my eat is around 14%. I'm trying to get an apartment also once discharged, hopefully I don't get a rejection after applying due to bk because I'm in a hotel until it's over. Tax season is approaching so I'm hoping to use that money to move and start over
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My attorney told me not to get any debt till after bk discharge If I can help it. So, you'll have to do what you need to do. There technically isnt a rule against it.

Carvana wanted to give me something like 15.6% interest. When you're ready to actually go forward dont just settle for the carvana offer... try others as well. Doing multiple hard pulls in a very short period of time for big purchases like house and car dont all count against your credit.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, idk where you're located but if you can find a private owner who is renting out their property, sometimes you can get them to agree to let you rent with a bad score. My current tenant told me straight up that they had BK on their record and I let her move in despite the low score.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you see the post...
Bankruptxy friendly auto loan guide
It's near the top of the BK part of the forum. Also, you can use the search bar to find it as well.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently went through this and got hit with an extraordinary amount of credit pulls. I would suggest finding the vehicle you like, from a BK friendly dealer (typically a bigger dealer with a “maverick” financier), and going that route. Knowing where you live, or the region, may help us help you find a dealer. Are you in the D.M.V. area or N.O.V.A.? Let Carvana be your last resort if possible. Also, if you have a family, you may need an SUV or minivan. Go the minivan route if possible because the LTV’s on minivans are more favorable than SUVs. I hope this helps! Good luck!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I'm in the Tidewater area of VA. At this point I don't care about getting a suv or car I just need something until I can get something better. Right now we are not driving at all
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.