cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting car title after Chapter 13 cramdown??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting car title after Chapter 13 cramdown??

We are done with our 13 now and one of our cars was included as a cramdown.  I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with getting the title for your car once you get your discharge??  Our loan company transferred the loan/title to one of those predatory collection companies just a month ago before our discharge.  Im wondering if they are going to make it difficult to get the title back?  I know that wont have a leg to stand on, but Im positive they will try to hold it ransom for the remaining balance of the loan that will be discharged in our BK.  

Does anyone have experience getting their title back?  Im hoping its quick.  I want to sell this car asap.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting car title after Chapter 13 cramdown??

@Anonymous wrote:

We are done with our 13 now and one of our cars was included as a cramdown.  I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with getting the title for your car once you get your discharge??  Our loan company transferred the loan/title to one of those predatory collection companies just a month ago before our discharge.  Im wondering if they are going to make it difficult to get the title back?  I know that wont have a leg to stand on, but Im positive they will try to hold it ransom for the remaining balance of the loan that will be discharged in our BK.  

Does anyone have experience getting their title back?  Im hoping its quick.  I want to sell this car asap.

I didn't do a cramdown but my arrears were included and then they stopped sending me a bill and I guess I still owed some.  I talked to them about it and asked for the title but they said I owed that amount.

Fast forward to the other day and I got the title in the mail (not sure why or how).  Though I am concerned that I will get a 1099-C (I think that is what it is called come tax time).

I would call them and tell them you want the title and see waht they say.

Message 2 of 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

It took about a month for my title.  I was able to sell my car to a dealership without it.  They verified it had been paid and had me sign a form requesting a new title.  It cost me a few extra dollars for DMV fee's, but was worth it.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to circle back on this.  I did get the title the minute the 13 was discharged.  The company holding it was awesome and overnighted the title to me without a hiccup.  It was a non-issue and worked out.  I was able to sell the vehicle and its over.  Thank god.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.