Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting card offers before Chap 7 discharge

tag
kebeneezer88
Contributor

Getting card offers before Chap 7 discharge

Hi my attorney just filed chap 7 on Feb 22. I noticed my FAKO scores went up 100/200 points. And my FICO about 75 to 100. 

I've gotten those Credit Karma and Credit Sesame offers that say very good odds and mainly with Cap 1, which I've included in my filing. I did the pre-approval thing though and it said no. Just curious why the Karma says very good odds.

Attorney said ok to take an offer at this point but I saw here that you guys recommend waiting for DC. 

3 REPLIES 3
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting card offers before Chap 7 discharge

@kebeneezer88 wrote:

Hi my attorney just filed chap 7 on Feb 22. I noticed my FAKO scores went up 100/200 points. And my FICO about 75 to 100. 

I've gotten those Credit Karma and Credit Sesame offers that say very good odds and mainly with Cap 1, which I've included in my filing. I did the pre-approval thing though and it said no. Just curious why the Karma says very good odds.

Attorney said ok to take an offer at this point but I saw here that you guys recommend waiting for DC. 

Ignore any noise from such sites; best recommendation, wait for the discharge, wait another month or so, check your credit reports to see if they're accurate, and then apply for a secured credit card from any number of institutions and an unsecured card from CapitalOne.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 4
anniea4001
Regular Contributor

@kebeneezer88 I would def suggest you wait until your discharge. You do not necesarily have to wait a month or have to go the secure card route but you should def wait. Once you get your discharge, make sure your reports have updated and then you can look into prequals and see if you can get your first unsecured card. 

Message 3 of 4
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

Dont jinx things: Wait until discharge and then hit the rebuilder cards (Disco Secured, Cap One, etc)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.