Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting new Student loan during bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting new Student loan during bankruptcy

Hello,
In paperwork we got from our attorney it said the court has to approve getting a new student loan before discharge. My husband is starting school in May. We won't be discharged yet. Was anyone able to get a student loan during the bankruptcy?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Bobby1081

Re: Getting new Student loan during bankruptcy

Hi Mjeff,

I filed a chapter 7 and was able to get student loans while in bankruptcy. I did not have to get court approval to take out additional student loans.  I was only required to re-sign the Master Promissary Note for the student loans.  If you are in a 13, that may require approval from the court, but on the school side of it; there will be no issues. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok it was just general paperwork given by the attorney. But it is a chapter 7
Message 3 of 7
Bobby1081

Great! No need for approval from the court, just have the school financial aide office handle the student loans. They will provide the documents that need to be signed. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do not need approval from the court to incur new debts in a Chapter 7.
If it’s before the Creditors Meeting you should probably let your attorney know.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I'm assuming my creditor meeting will be middle April since I filed March 14th. So school won't start until May 20th. I won't be discharged but should be past the creditor meeting.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t assume, the date can vary. Just wait for the notice to come in the mail.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.