Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting to 800 post-BK before BK drops off

tag
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

Getting to 800 post-BK before BK drops off

Is it possible?

I just finished 5 years post-BK and seem to be stuck at 702. My controllable parameters (utilization, AZEO, payment history, etc.) are all optimized. All the simulators (yes, I know they're garbage) tell me that if I continue to pay all my bills on time for 24 months, I can get my score from 702 to ... wait for it ... 702!!

I've been at 702 for 6 months. No drops from the few inquiries and small account closures that I've had; no increases from the few small CLIs that I've received. Am I doomed be stuck here until the BK drops off my reports?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting to 800 post-BK before BK drops off

@NYC_Fella wrote:

Is it possible?

I just finished 5 years post-BK and seem to be stuck at 702. My controllable parameters (utilization, AZEO, payment history, etc.) are all optimized. All the simulators (yes, I know they're garbage) tell me that if I continue to pay all my bills on time for 24 months, I can get my score from 702 to ... wait for it ... 702!!

I've been at 702 for 6 months. No drops from the few inquiries and small account closures that I've had; no increases from the few smalll CLIs that I've received. Am I doomed be stuck here until the BK drops off my reports?

Probably not. As it gets older you'll tick up in fits and spurts, but you will unlikely get to 800.

I had a major delinquincy on my report (which isn't even as bad as a BK) and I was pegged around 760 until it finally fell off my reports. The month after it cleared I had a nearly 70 point jump to ~830.

Message 2 of 12
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@iced wrote:

Probably not. As it gets older you'll tick up in fits and spurts, but you will unlikely get to 800.

Thanks. Just gonna have to be patient for another 5 years! 🤬

Message 3 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

740ish is about the highest I have seen and should be just as good as 800 in most cases.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 12
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

740ish is about the highest I have seen and should be just as good as 800 in most cases.

Agreed; my wife had her Chapter 7 discharged back in 2014 and has had zero issues since; she too is hovering in the 730-740 range and has for a year or two now.  My Chapter 13, which was discharged in March 2020, is holding my scores down as well; my FICO 8s range from 680 to 710, my FICO 9s range from 700 to 770, and my Mortgage scores range from 710 to 740; it will be very interesting to see what my scores do early next year when my bankruptcy falls off and what her scores do in 2024.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 5 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You will not ever hit 800 as long as your BK is on your reports. The max will be 750-775 with an excellent rebuild, and lots of other factors that go into that.
Message 6 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The highest I got was 753. Then I cashed that in on a minispree in July. Two new accounts and a new SUV. Got it up to do so. Back down I went and will stay there probably for the next 4 yrs till drop off. I burned no one. Just some odds and ends and back taxes.

Message 7 of 12
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

The highest I've gotten so far is 771.  I'm waiting for my chapter 7 to drop off Equifax, then I order that score.

I wanted to be at 800 when my bankruptcy fell off my credit, now I am hoping to break the 800 club middle of 2022,

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 12
CosmicCash
Established Member

Interesting thread!  So I'm getting the sense that there is a soft cap preventing people with a BK on their record from hitting 800??

Chapter 7 Filed: 3/31/21
341 Meeting: 05/04/21
Discharge: 07/14/21
Message 9 of 12
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

To be honest, my score is due to me and only me. A lot of my inquiries were from a spree earlier this year and buying a truck. Also opening a bunch of cards via the shopping cart method during the lockdown also didn't help 

Eventhough I wanted to be at 800 on the tenth anniversary of me filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, I'm happy with the progress I made. 

I still believe 800 is achievable after bankruptcy. It will just take me a little longer. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.