Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOA Fees after Chapter 7 Discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HOA Fees after Chapter 7 Discharge

So I got my Discharge in Texas for Chapter 7 04/19/2016 and gave up a condo I had/have in NJ.  

My questions lie with the HOA fees for the condo in NJ. Since I gave up the house in the BK, what happens to the house immediately? I live in Texas now and I am not planning on going back to NJ. 

1. What happens to the property after the discharge? My attorney tells me I don't need to do anything with it.
  2. Am I still responsible for the HOA fee's after the discharge until the bank officially takes the property? Again, my attorney tells me I don't, but not sure I want to completely believe him just yet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: HOA Fees after Chapter 7 Discharge

Until the house is foreclosed upon, you technically are responsbile for any upkeep, HOA fees and taxes on the property up until that point.  In fact, our attorney told us that even if we did surrender our home, to maintain insurance on it in case someone got hurt while on the property (we did not surrender it, but, you get the point).

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOA Fees after Chapter 7 Discharge

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

Until the house is foreclosed upon, you technically are responsbile for any upkeep, HOA fees and taxes on the property up until that point.  In fact, our attorney told us that even if we did surrender our home, to maintain insurance on it in case someone got hurt while on the property (we did not surrender it, but, you get the point).

Thanks for the information. Not what I wanted to hear, but guess I better look into it before it becomes an issue and hurt my credit post BK.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.