cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

@shols44 wrote:

@SoulMaster wrote:

Ha!

Shols is like the master of this thread now... I love it!

What he said! Personally, I wouldn't waste the pulls until after, but I like saving money.

-SM

No way Sir! You still da boss. If not for this thread, my head would still be buried in the sand! I owe you big!

agreed!  Best thread on the entire forum!  Should sticky this at the top for everyone to read.....and then read again.....and then a third time.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 91 of 1,877
FATS
New Visitor

I'm in.

Thanks SoulMaster and all contributors for sharing such personal information.

I have a couple or questions pertaining to my specific situation. I have the opportunity, post discharge of course, to become an AU on my girlfriend's Amex. She has something like a 5K limit with very low utilization. I realize this would artificially inflate my score and would probably be frowned upon as it's not true credit building. The idea is to list it for a couple of months, hopefully have the info used by Capitol One and Discover for easier acceptance and higher credit limits, then dump it and continue on my own.

TU 530
EQ 503
Meeting of creditors, scheduled for July 29th
Discharge, hopefully Oct 29th
Message 92 of 1,877
Desiflavour101
Established Member

Hello everyone.

My bankruptcy was discharged on July 5, 2013. I have been reading posts on this board for over a month and decided to try my luck at Cap 1 even though I did include them in my bankruptcy. I was declined and did call for recon but nothing. I am planning on applying for a secured card at my local credit union but I am afraid of too many inquiries.

My current FICO score is 581 and like many others want to rebuild my credit.
**Gardening until Sept. 2016...**
BK 7: Filed March 2013/Discharged June 2013
FICO Score: 580 at the start
Barclay Rewards VISA $2,500, Barclay Rewards MC $2,300, Capital One Quicksilver One $1,750, Capital One Quicksilver One $1,500, Care Credit $2,000, Fortiva $4,000, & Walmart $1,200.
Message 93 of 1,877
FATS
New Visitor

Hi Desi, there is another current thread that may be of help to you entitled POST CH.7 CREDIT CARD HELP! Sorry I can't do a link, I'm using a chromebook and am severely limited. Also I haven't quite got the knack of navigating this forum yet.

Best of luck on your rebuild fellow newbie!

TU 530
EQ 503
Meeting of creditors, scheduled for July 29th
Discharge, hopefully Oct 29th
Message 94 of 1,877
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@Desiflavour101 wrote:
Hello everyone.

My bankruptcy was discharged on July 5, 2013. I have been reading posts on this board for over a month and decided to try my luck at Cap 1 even though I did include them in my bankruptcy. I was declined and did call for recon but nothing. I am planning on applying for a secured card at my local credit union but I am afraid of too many inquiries.

Congrats on your discharge. Did you pull all three reports to make sure everything is reporting correctly? If you haven't done that, don't app for anything until you do. A lot of things could still be reported wrong with non-zero balances. Fix that first. 

Once that is correct my favored approach is Capone, Credit One, CU-with credit builder and turn around secured. i.e take the credit builder loan and fund a secured card with the same CU. That IMO is a great way to have 4 lines reporting ASAP. Remeber nothing works unless CR is cleaned and scrubbed appropriately. Make sure you vet the CU before joining. Ask specifically about their BK policy since not all CU's are actually BK friendly. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 95 of 1,877
Larryhay
Established Member

Well, you've already mentioned the try and fail w/ Capital One, so we'll all leave that adice off for now (when by Ch-7 turned a year old, Capital one opened up to me again...not their prequalify, but just went ahead and got approved for both Cap One Auto, then their $500 starter card)

Anyway, moving on Job #1 is Getting A CU Secured card! Or almost any Bank/Cu Secured card.  I would even inquire with the Credit Union, as some in my area are more conservative in not dealing with Ch-7's, even with your own money for secured! A quick call should get you accurate info, without any other inquiries until you find a Fincl Institution that will open a secured w/ recent Bankruptcy. There are threads on this if your CU doesn't come through.

That is key, as getting a decent revolving visa/MC TL is step 1 in getting a positive TL, and getting your Credit Score on the methodical process of rebuilding.

Banks & Credit Unions will first look at how long since your Ch-7, which only time will help, but then how long/when Visa/MC Tradeline was started.

After 6 months and low inquiries, BarclayCardsUS is a very strong choice for a unsecured Visa Card.------------------------

So, job 1, Secured Credit Card without $75 fees or nonsense like that

#2, the local Credit Union is a great source for a secured loan, like $500, that you can pay back over 10-12 months or so, for another positive tradeline. Again, it's your own money, but you get literal credit for it.

Perhaps ONE other Department store card, like Fingerhut (horrible pricing, shipping, but a Eq/TU tradeline source to help with utilization,etc) You can buy something small for $25 or whatever their plan states.  If you don't have enough for Both the Secured Visa/MC and the secure loan, then you can try Fingerhut instead of the secured loan. I did all 3. 

You don't need 10 different new accounts with junk companies to rebuild, so try and avoid the mistakes many like myself did. Those junk 'mailer cards just keep the inquiries high, without much reward

After 6 months, I applied and was finally approved for a $500 Barclays card, which went to $2000 after 6 months.

About that same time, I had by Transunion (CreditKarma) up over the 620 bottom-feeder mark), which got me into the GECRB family with Walmart. Only $150 limit, but then $800 after 4 months, and to $1000 4 months later.

Once those base steps are done, you have to keep inquires down to perhaps once every 3 months

1 1/2 years ago after Ch-7 , any auto loan for me could not be found under 18%... just got pre-approval @ 7.19% new, and then 6.3% from my Credit Union new/used

I am trying to hold off till 2 year mark, which opens so many more Credit Card & auto-rate options.

7/13/2013 17 months after d/c   Fico EQ 674, Fico TU 652, Exp 655

Starting Score: 589
12/1/2012 Fico EQ 651 Fico TU 637 CK TU 608 0

07/15/2013 Fico EQ 674 Fico TU 652 CK TU 651 0
Goal Score: 705+

Current Score:
9.21.14 FICO EQ 686

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

7/13/2013 Fico EQ 674 TU Fico 652
Message 96 of 1,877
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Larry,

I am diametrically opposed to Secured Cards, except in a case of last resort, and only then if they are 100% known to be cards that graduate.

Before I started working in the legal field I was a software architect.  There's a simple software engineering rule here:  Don't store any data you don't have to.  It's not rule #1, but it is a rule.  So, while people may think that secured cards are good, the fact is that they report on all CRs as "Secured", which means they must do something... especially when you're at a manual underwriting level.

IMO, Secured cards are an instant re-bucket item, denoting that you have crappy credit.  You'll see thousands of stories on this board about people stuck w/ low limits and in quite a few of them, you'll see secured cards still reporting.  Thus, they are best avoided at all costs.

As for department store cards, these may be even worse.  I've spoken with several underwriters who specifically regard people with store-cards as "suckers".  I've argued with them that this is usually done to take advantage of a discount or 0% apr offer and in every case their rebuttal was "if they need a 0% apr, which means they're making payments, they usually don't have the cash to cover the purchase". <-- this strategy flags as "doesn't use credit wisely", unless the same credit report is flush with positive trade-lines that off-set.  When rebuilding, people don't have those positive TLs. (please note: the underwriters I know make exceptions for gas-cards, which aren't used for large purchases and normally offer a discount.  Also, in EVERY case, they can see your charging/payment history on all cards, which can also be used to offset).

The guide I laid out at the top of this thread is based on hundreds of examples of successful rebuilds, and now hundreds of people have used it, verbatim, to start/continue/complete their own rebuilds.  They get to 700(+/-) in about 2 years.  If there's a better plan than that I haven't seen it.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 97 of 1,877
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@Desiflavour101 wrote:
Hello everyone.

With a 581, it sounds like there's still something that isn't reporting IIB.  In fact, as your discharge was 7/5 and today is only 7/15, I can practically guarantee it.

Go back and read the guide again.  Follow it step-by-step, without racing to get a card before you've got your CR fixed.

Then, the order is: Credit Builder Loan, CreditOne (unsecured only), CapOne.

If you absolutley cannot get anything unsecured.  Get a secured card that you are 100% certain will graduate to unsecured in 12 mo.  When it graduates the "Secured" designation will be removed from your CRs.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 98 of 1,877
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

I finally went back and updated the original post to remove all references to Orchard Bank (replacing them with CreditOne).

For those of you that are getting declined for the CapitalOne card, you'll see that you're not supposed to apply for it until SIX months after your discharge, AND after you've had a crap-card (Credit One) for at least 5 months.  As I've said before, I discharged the hell out of CapOne and HSBC/Orchard, but I waited to apply for the CapOne until I'd rebuilt a little.

I also adjusted some of the links to take people to the pre-qualifiers.  Added a description of the Credit Builder product from OneNevadaCU, too, in case people don't live in NV, they can find a similar product.

Shols, do you see any changes I've missed?

-SM

Message 99 of 1,877
Desiflavour101
Established Member

Re: UPDATED!!! HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

Thank you for the help and encouragement everyone Smiley Happy

I applied for CreditOne's unsecured credit card. Application status states approved but when I called the 1-800 number I was told the process takes 2-3 weeks, so that is a good sign to say the least.

There is a credit union in my area. The rep I spoke to mentioned they approve for secured credit card and don't pull credit report to base their approval, which is a good thing as I already have many inquiries. They do report to all 3 credit bureaus and consider turning the card unsecured after a year. Additionally, they offer a consumer loan if the score is 600. So I was thinking of using that instead of doing a credit loan builder since I do not live

Will Capital One consider me for an unsecured card 6 months later even though they rejected my application? Also, I was reading somewhere that Discover does give another chance to a consumer even though that consumer listed them in the bankruptcy. Is it true?
**Gardening until Sept. 2016...**
BK 7: Filed March 2013/Discharged June 2013
FICO Score: 580 at the start
Barclay Rewards VISA $2,500, Barclay Rewards MC $2,300, Capital One Quicksilver One $1,750, Capital One Quicksilver One $1,500, Care Credit $2,000, Fortiva $4,000, & Walmart $1,200.
Message 100 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.