cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

tag
twanswife916
Contributor

Re: HOW TO: From BK7 discharge to 700 in 24 months or less!

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

Okay, I have been following this plan and am still very excited and eager to recover and rebuild, but I feel just a bit lost. I filed BK7 2/28/14 and I will be discharged 6/2/14. I already completed pre-steps and have alrady gotten all 3 CRA to update all info so that it reflect IIB and 0 balances for all accounts. My scores have even increased quite a bit. I started at 490 or 510 and am now at 585(Credit.com/CreditKarma/CreditSesame) & 578 FICO. I guess I am feeling lost because I don't know if I am to wait until I am discharged to apply for Credit One or any other card? I went to Credit One and Capital One to see if I could get pre-qualifed and that was a no go, so I am a bit lost as to what step to pursue now and next. Any Suggestions or opinions or insight???

Thanks in advance for any info given.

-Eager

Eager,

You are just a few days away from discharge. I would advise to wait until 6/2/14 and apply for Cap1 then. I've notices from other replies that people don't always get a pre-approval from Cap1.

BK7 Discharge 7/2014
BK13 Filed 06/2019 Gardening til 2023 Fico 8 Aug'22 EQ: 568 EX: 608 TU: 567 Goal: 680 AAOA: 42mo INQ: 9
Message 471 of 1,877

Eager, I would also wait until discharge if i were you. When I tried for capital one, i wasn't pre-approved ether. I took the leap of faith and applied anywaise 2 weeks after discharge and got the 7-10 day message. They needed to verify my address but i got approved for it a week later. Keep the faith!! and good luck to you!!

Message 472 of 1,877
EAGER2BDEBTFREE
Established Member

****UPDATE****

Thank you all who told me to wait until discharge to apply for Credit One. I did just that and today I went on there and was not pre-qualifed yet again and was a bit discouraged, but then one of my friends who are trying to follow this plan as well called and said she just got approved for capital one quicksilver card. She said she had experienced the same thing with CreditOne and suggested I try Capital One as well. I thought about and then decided what the heck... I applied and it gave me two cards both for credit limit of $300. Its not much, but its a start. 

So, I am wondering if I use my Capital One card as if it were the Credit One card would things still go as planned or was this a super bad idea? All suggestions and comments are welcome...

Thanks, 

Eager

Starting Score: 510
Current Score: FICO 541/TU:555/Creditkarma:571/Credit.com:567/Creditseasme:570
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 473 of 1,877
twanswife916
Contributor

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thank you all who told me to wait until discharge to apply for Credit One. I did just that and today I went on there and was not pre-qualifed yet again and was a bit discouraged, but then one of my friends who are trying to follow this plan as well called and said she just got approved for capital one quicksilver card. She said she had experienced the same thing with CreditOne and suggested I try Capital One as well. I thought about and then decided what the heck... I applied and it gave me two cards both for credit limit of $300. Its not much, but its a start. 

So, I am wondering if I use my Capital One card as if it were the Credit One card would things still go as planned or was this a super bad idea? All suggestions and comments are welcome...

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

Use the Cap1 card in place of the CreditOne card. Follow the plan to the letter and you will be fine. Never charge more than 30% ($90) on either card. Actually I wouldn't charge more that 15% ($45) on each card to be safe.

BK7 Discharge 7/2014
BK13 Filed 06/2019 Gardening til 2023 Fico 8 Aug'22 EQ: 568 EX: 608 TU: 567 Goal: 680 AAOA: 42mo INQ: 9
Message 474 of 1,877
EAGER2BDEBTFREE
Established Member

@twanswife916 wrote:

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

Use the Cap1 card in place of the CreditOne card. Follow the plan to the letter and you will be fine. Never charge more than 30% ($90) on either card. Actually I wouldn't charge more that 15% ($45) on each card to be safe.

@twanswife916 wrote:

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

@ @twanswife916: Thank you so very much for the input. I am definitely going to follow it to the letter,but am not sure what to do because they agve me two cards with Capital One: Quicksliver and Platinum Classic, 300 & 400 CL. Do I just let the other card sit or do I just charge a dollar a month to show activity? I'm just trying to get everything just right, so agian thank you for the help and advice.

Many Thanks,

Eager

Message 475 of 1,877
twanswife916
Contributor

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

@twanswife916 wrote:

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

@twanswife916 wrote:

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

@ @twanswife916: Thank you so very much for the input. I am definitely going to follow it to the letter,but am not sure what to do because they agve me two cards with Capital One: Quicksliver and Platinum Classic, 300 & 400 CL. Do I just let the other card sit or do I just charge a dollar a month to show activity? I'm just trying to get everything just right, so agian thank you for the help and advice.

Many Thanks,

Eager

Eager,

Your total revolving credit line with  $300 & $400 CL between 2 cards will be $700 so you dont want to use more than 30% ($210) of that. I would suggest if you use 30% ($120) on the $400CL to leave the other PIF or you can charge no more than 15% ($60 for $400CL & $45 for $300CL) a month. Best way is to have your MyFICO score watch come off 1 of your cards each month. 

BK7 Discharge 7/2014
Message 476 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

@twanswife916 wrote:

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

@twanswife916 wrote:

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

****UPDATE****

Thanks, 

Eager

Eager,

Many Thanks,

Eager

I would say to never charge more than 10% of your limit and only let one report with a balance, while the other reports at $0. This will maximize your FICO score.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 477 of 1,877
EAGER2BDEBTFREE
Established Member

Scupra,

Thank you for that great and sound advice. I will be sure to keep the other at a 0 balance and only charge no more than 10% on the other. Thanks again! Also, while I have your attention I was wondering in 6 months what card would I apply for since I already have the Capital One? Should I just keep what I got and just wait?

Many Thanks,

Eager

Message 478 of 1,877
Scupra
Super Contributor

@EAGER2BDEBTFREE wrote:

Scupra,

Thank you for that great and sound advice. I will be sure to keep the other at a 0 balance and only charge no more than 10% on the other. Thanks again! Also, while I have your attention I was wondering in 6 months what card would I apply for since I already have the Capital One? Should I just keep what I got and just wait?

Many Thanks,

Eager

I would see about adding an installment TL to help with your mix of credit. After 8-12 months of good usage and on time payments with the Cap1 cards maybe try for a Barclays card, if you didn't burn them. Just remember rebuilding takes time and patience is key

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 479 of 1,877
EAGER2BDEBTFREE
Established Member

Thanks Scrupa,

I'm complete sure what you mean by installment tradeline, but I did get approved of Credit Rebuilder Loan at my CU for 1500 and I will be starting that just as soon as I recieve and activate my CapOne cards. I hope that this helps as well.  Thanks again for the great advice and feedback its much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Eager

Message 480 of 1,877
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.