cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone gotten a CC from a company they filed on?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone gotten a CC from a company they filed on?

I was wondering if anyone here was able to get a credit card later from a bank included in their BK? I heard AMEX doesn't forgive but Cap1 and Discover might.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone gotten a CC from a company they filed on?

As of February of this year, Cap One is denying due to BK.  Evidently they're tightening up on that one.

Also, Cap One will pull all 3 of your CRA reports.

Message Edited by utah2009 on 05-14-2009 11:44 AM
Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As of February of this year, Cap One is denying due to BK.  Evidently they're tightening up on that one.

Also, Cap One will pull all 3 of your CRA reports.

Message Edited by utah2009 on 05-14-2009 11:44 AM
Message 2 of 9
krielly
Established Contributor

Discover denied me a couple months ago due to a BK on my record from 2005. I did not file on them.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was discharged 11/05 on Ch 7.  I excluded a couple of cards from BK and maintained them.  Chase bought out Wamu and I filed against 3 of their cards and they are honoring the WAMU buyout with an $8,000 limit.  I just called them yesterday to send me my "new" Chase card.  Now, in May of '09 with a lot of common sense and hard work, I'm 700 or better with $45,000 limits total. 

I want to add, for those of you thinking of filing bankruptcy, your attorney may tell you to don't pay anymore and if they have any questions, have your creditors call the attorney's office for verification.  That is all well and good, but keep paying anyway until the documents are finally filed at the court house.  It takes a couple of months.  Otherwise you will show some late pays on your report before bankruptcy.  Again, common sense here folks.

I had very high credit scores with no late pays but the state closed my business due to some licensing changes.  I had also just built my own brand new custom home.  I sold my service truck, prized guitar, and inventory so I could keep current on my cc payments.  I have -0- late pays, both before and after BK on my credit report.  That's why my credit is so good now.  I'm back in business and have $60,000 + of unsecured credit with my business suppliers because they were paid in full before BK.

Hope this can help someone,

Audio....(silly name) 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK & Capital One

I got a Capital One card a couple of years ago and 3 months ago I got the pink slip that my promised 5.99% was going to 29.9% due to economic conditions and some other garble.  I could opt out and they would cancel me out on 5-15, but I would have to pay as usual the 5.9% until paid off or accept and pay the 29.9% and keep the card. 

I opted out and paid the card off before the end of March. (6K)  I didn't use a balance transfer either.

I am still listed with all three CUs with my Chapter 7 in '05.

I checked online yesterday, my cacellation date, and it showed my $10,000 limit with -0- balance.

I called corporate office and they verified that my account was indeed in good standing with them. 

I cut my card up when I got the notice so I requested another one yesterday.  They will be mailing it out next week.  I don't like the high interest, but need the 10k for the FICO cushion.  I'll use it sparingly until they get real with their rates.

Audio

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orchard Bank sent me an unsecured offer 6 months after my discharge of my previous account with them. I accepted and 3 years later still have it.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received an Orchard Bank -- an HSBC subsidiary -- unsecured card just two months after the discharge of a Chapter 13 bankruptcy with included an HSBC (not Orchard Bank) account. I had PIF'd a Capital One account before BK, and currently have an application for another with them pending. We'll see, I guess.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed Chpt. 7 on a Cap 1 account in June of '07. That account was in bad standing at that time (leftover from a nasty divorce...long story).

They sent me an unsecured card with a 10.9% rate in April of '08. It had a low limit, but has helped me get started rebuilding my credit rating. I've been notified it's going to 24% as of January. I will have a zero balance on it by then and I will keep it to cushion my available credit. But at that rate, it'll stay in my desk at home...not in my wallet.

Message 8 of 9
lacecop98
Established Member

I included a First Premier in mine & I now have two cards with them.  They both have small limits but it is a startSmiley Tongue
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.