Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having discharged bankruptcy removed from credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having discharged bankruptcy removed from credit report

This is a Canadian specific question, maybe someone out there knows if it’s possible to have a discharged bankruptcy removed from a credit report because of what i see in any case unfair delays?

The issue is that I declared bankruptcy in 2013 and because of an opposition for a student loan it’s dragged on for almost 6 years!!

I’m finally getting my discharge on sept 4th, but I’ve already suffered for 6.5 years with this bankruptcy on my file and now I have to wait another 7 years from the date of discharge to have it gone from my credit report! (Equifax Canada keeps not more than 7 ..so a total of almost 13 years for a single bankruptcy..

Has anyone gone through a protracted bankrupt and have any advice (Canadians of course)

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Mike
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Having discharged bankruptcy removed from credit report

Welcome! Oh wow. That would suck big time. Hope someone chimes in. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks man..really does suck!..I’ve managed to max out my Equifax score at 680 despite this..
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't get it legally removed despite what any credit repair company tells you. The clock not starting until discharge in Canada is a major downside. The only good news is it might be 6 years instead of 7 depending on what province you are in. I would still consult a lawyer and see if anything can be done with the discharge date. Its at least worth a conversation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/credit-reports-score/information-credit-...

Bankruptcy

Generally, both Equifax and TransUnion remove a bankruptcy from your credit report 6 years after the date you're discharged.

TransUnion removes a bankruptcy from your credit report 7 years after you're discharged in the following provinces:

• New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Quebec
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.